Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm trying to remove my CV joint, but I can't seem to get the ujoints out. I've tried hammering them with a socket and using a clamp, and they won't budge. Any tips? The rear ujoint came out fine, but these are a bitch! I'm thinking I'll should just leave this one to the pros...

--Jeff

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Don't trust the pros either my father in law is an ASE mechanic and he took mine apart and could'nt put it back together.......

If your really unconfortable doing it, take it to a shop that specializes in drivelines and and have them do it. They'll rebalance and rebuild for about 75.00 IIRC.... But you can do it yourself, their just PITA. Did you get the clips out already???? Fog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken out the snap rings, but the damn ujoints are stuck in there. I've tried everything, and still can not get them out. So I'll probably just take it to the driveline shop.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Do you have a ujoint press?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, sure don't. I have a C-clamp, which I used to remove the rear ujoints with no problem. What does a u-joint press do differently? I've never seen one...

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Spray the crap out of it with Liquid Wrench, wait an hour or so, and smack it good with a hammer...

:D

"if all else fails... use a bigger hammer..."

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
BlkBronco said:
No, sure don't. I have a C-clamp, which I used to remove the rear ujoints with no problem. What does a u-joint press do differently? I've never seen one...

EDIT: it doesn't deflect like a c-clamp will do, and you get on it with a socket and ratchet, much more leverage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts