Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm trying to remove my CV joint, but I can't seem to get the ujoints out. I've tried hammering them with a socket and using a clamp, and they won't budge. Any tips? The rear ujoint came out fine, but these are a bitch! I'm thinking I should just leave this one to the pros...

--Jeff

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Better watch out... somebody's going to come around in a minute and flame you for calling it a "CV" joint. :rolleyes:

Ball joint press and/or bench vise is the way to go. Heat and penetrating oil helps. Once they break free, there is a trick to getting them loose, too. You'll have to look at it and figure it out... best I recall, there's one joint that's going to be a bit easier to remove than the other. Be careful that you don't loose the rollers and spring inside the centering ball, too. The spring will want to shoot out once the u-joint caps are out, and it usually takes a couple of rollers with it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used the ball joint press from Harbor Freight too. Here is the link Made the job very easy.

For my truck I used Spicer P/N 404-OA for the centering ball and the slinger is Spicer P/N 412-2. Keith had some different part #'s on his Superford page. It seems that they varied on some of the years.

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Lookinfurfun said:
I used the ball joint press from Harbor Freight too. Here is the link Made the job very easy.

For my truck I used Spicer P/N 404-OA for the centering ball and the slinger is Spicer P/N 412-2. Keith had some different part #'s on his Superford page. It seems that they varied on some of the years.
My Double-C joint is on the way out as well. Do you know the spicer P/N for non-greasable u-joints that are used in the double-c? Not sure what year your Bronco is but mine is a 1996...

tia
dc

·
0 Posts
Dont know the part numbers, but you might as well replace the ball too. Its like 28.00 bucks at napa. I used a 3 jaw pilot bearing puller to get the ball seat out, it was 7 bucks at harbor freight. good luck, it aint that hard.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dangling_Dave said:
My Double-C joint is on the way out as well. Do you know the spicer P/N for non-greasable u-joints that are used in the double-c? Not sure what year your Bronco is but mine is a 1996...

tia
dc
You know, I can't remember. I just asked the guys at Napa for the Spicer Golds. I thought they were the same as the one in the rear of the D/S.

·
0 Posts
all three Ujoints are the same part number. The ball+socket are different. I would not try to replace the Ujoints and not the ball at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts