Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 bronco ranger XLT 4 speed manual with a stock 351m
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a squeal at high rpms and it looks like all of my belts are sitting cockeyed. Wondering if any of you lovely mudders have any advice on pulley systems. I got the bronc a year ago but havent had much time to take her out and I finally got myself a home on some serious acreage that includes a 6 car garage, so its time to show her some love... Plus, the wife wants AC and will only let me spend the money if I promise it'll blow cold.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
A million years ago I bought a used 4 speed Mustang. The previous owner had a heavy clutch, and apparently liked to start the machine with his foot on the clutch, or the clutch pressure was abnormally high. In any case, the crank had about 1/4" of end play, which caused some belt squeal when the clutch was depressed. I took the engine apart and found that the thrust bearing (#3 IIRC) surface was paper thin.
Shut the engine off in neutral, then open the hood and look at the crank pulley while someone pushes the clutch. If you can see it move, or hear a significant clunk, that could be your problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the feedback, dude. But its definitely not the clutch. I can physically see the belts seated improperly so im looking to buy a whole new v pulley or serpentine system to throw on. Looking for suggestions because everything i search keeps coming up with CVF pulley systems.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,876 Posts
I do not have the CVF, however do have a March Setup on both of my Broncos. This is due to CVF simply not having what I wanted at the time.
They both work great, and makes it easier to upgrade the alternator without having to worry about belt slip. I also like that you can typically upgrade to the SAG style pump at the same time.
I have had my kit in the mud a few times (the 92) no issues. Other then getting nice shiney parts dirty.

Reactions: Roots_Calhoun

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,172 Posts
L & L Products has some good bracketry/pulley sets, not sure if they do a/c tho. I got their alternator bracket kit 'cuz I couldn't stop the belt from squealing & getting loose. I also changed all the pulleys to Gilmer style and ran that belt. Night & day difference.

L & L Products

Reactions: Roots_Calhoun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts