Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another D44 housing damn near complete without spindles. I got it for the rad. arms. I took em off and the wedges are welded. my other one is cast. which one is better? I never knew they had 2 variations like that.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The welded ones are dana 44 HD aint it? If so the housing you just picked up it stronger.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
use the welded housing. tube should be 1/2" thick. but smaller diameter on that one.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Ragged_ol_86 said:
I just picked up another D44 housing damn near complete without spindles. I got it for the rad. arms. I took em off and the wedges are welded. my other one is cast. which one is better? I never knew they had 2 variations like that.
yes, 2+ variations.

what you probably picked up was a pre '78 44. The 78-79 is the standard cast "sleeve" at the end of the tube, uses roughly 3" x .25" tube. The 76-77 coil (which had the disc brake) uses a smaller 2.75" tube roughly and are apx. .375" tube thickness from my measurements (what you have). I got these measurements from My 78-79 axle and a friend who was building a 76-77 axle at the same time, and his uses a different inner seal, and I did a little math. This is a good axle. Better? well, probably as far as axle tubing strength, and that's it. but I never liked how thin the tubes look once you install it under the truck. But that's deceiving (and cosmetic).

Then you have the D44 heavy duty that is leaf sprung, and it uses .5" thick tube that I believe is again close to 3" outside diameter.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'd rather use the axle with welded on wedges because they use 1/2" tubes. But I have a D44 with the casted wedges and 1/4" tubes on my truck right now and its never been a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts