Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I thought I would take a moment to say hi. I have been peeping on here for information or help from time to time and I was finally encouraged to register by my boyfriend since I've been on here so much!

I bought a 1979 Ford Bronco back in April and I love it! She's in pretty decent shape but there are tons of improvements needed. I come here for info when we get stuck or can't figure issues out. I greatly admire you and the info you share here and appreciate that there's a place I can come for info when Matilda happens to throw us something we haven't encountered before!

Just wanted to say Hi and Thanks! I look forward to all the info that can come my way!

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
dang you paul you took my intro...

Anyways, welcome to the greatest place for those who are financially challenged (aka we own Wallet depleating vehicles)

here you will find the answer to any bronco questions you may have, you'll find a warm and inviting community, and hopefully some new friends.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks! I appreciate that.

Matilda is for sure going to be a challange but the feeling that she gives me is pure happiness, we have every kind of work you could think of ahead of this but I so look forward to it.

I have started off very slowly since I know nothing about vehicles. I have so far managed a few oil changes and also the front hubs, wheel barrings and pads. Very awesome stuff. I think our next stop is going to be engine work.. we believe that she has either 1 or 2 spark plugs that are causing issues so Matt and I are going to tackle that next!

You know that I will be here reading up with him!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
If it has 79k original miles, and the engine is original, it will not be a windsor. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm learning that!! I did a little digging on here and found info on how to get a build sheet. We're going to wait for that to come then try to do some research and see what we really have. From what I have read so far it is most likely a 351m?

The gentleman I bought her from might have been a bit misleading! Regardless of what she is, has or will be I still love her!

When I found her on craigslist, she was sitting under a tree covered in dirt, leaves, pine needles and mold. He said it had been 2 years since she was drove but we feel more like 4-5. A simple bath made her look great, she has rust sure but not as bad as some of the other 79's I have seen so I still feel like we got a great deal for the $1600.00!

I am really getting excited with what I am learning the more that I read! I hope to one day figure out what she really is! I am going to take a lot of pictures of her and post them soon, I am looking foward to what people can tell me about her from what they see! Should be interesting!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has 79k original miles, and the engine is original, it will not be a windsor. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think it will be? I would love to get your feedback once I am able to get a photo posted of her engine.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
351M or a 400.

if I was a guessing person I am going to say a 400 due to the auto and full time tcase.

count the valve cover bolts. 6=windsor, 8 = 351m/400

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
351M or a 400.

if I was a guessing person I am going to say a 400 due to the auto and full time tcase.

count the valve cover bolts. 6=windsor, 8 = 351m/400
It's 11:31 pm. I've been reading on here for 2.5 hours, my eyes hurt so bad and suddenly I want to run out tithe driveway with a flash light!! LOL

Thanks for the idea! I will let you know tomorrow what i find!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
welcome to the cool kids club. take your wallet out and throw it at ur truck, because sooner or later this will happen and you'll get your wallet back lighter than a feather

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Welcome to FSB, cant to see ur ride good luck fixing her up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am looking forward to fixing her up! I know it is going to be a drain but we will do it a little at a time! She really (to me) is in pretty good shape. When my old car started to die it was time to look for a new one. I knew I wanted an older, bigger vehicle.

I hit Craigslist and looked up Broncos. I found a pretty impressive '88 but the guy never called me back. Then I found the posting for Matilda. That was that. For sitting so long and not being taken care of, I felt she was pretty great. Matt saw a money pit and told me we should keep looking but I knew she was it.

I was actually about to drive her the 40 miles back to Nashville from where we got her, we stopped at O'Reilys for a new battery, a full tank of gas and a car wash later and that was all she wrote. She is actually my DD and we go about 16 miles round trip each day to work but I have drove her longer distances. She does pretty damn great on the highway too.

The current things I know we are going to be looking at doing are replacing heads and there is a weird thing going on that we think is either a leak or possibly the need for a new oil pump.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
Welcome to the club, both FSB and the 79 club. As you can see by my board name I kindof like them. How about a pic of the ole girl. Look for the catalyst sticker on inside of hood might tell ya a little more about what ya have. I heard from Ford today about my build sheets. They found three of the four and were calling to confirm some info on fourth. Anyways, checkout the dixie thread and mark yourself on the map. See ya around!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the club, both FSB and the 79 club. As you can see by my board name I kindof like them. How about a pic of the ole girl. Look for the catalyst sticker on inside of hood might tell ya a little more about what ya have. I heard from Ford today about my build sheets. They found three of the four and were calling to confirm some info on fourth. Anyways, checkout the dixie thread and mark yourself on the map. See ya around!
I actually read your whole thread last night! I was admiring your collection and I found myself needing to hit the hay because I was spending so much time on here.. I love the beach one!! I saw one very similar on a trip to KY recently. I had to stop and stare! LOVE THE two tone jobs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts