Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guy. just got a question about my 78 d44 hp. could i use the knuckles/ brakes off a ttb d50 to convert to 8 lug? or do i have to try and find a d44hd? thanks

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
d50 stuff will not work

chevy stuff is your best bet. search and your answer will be found.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
hey whats up guy. just got a question about my 78 d44 hp. could i use the knuckles/ brakes off a ttb d50 to convert to 8 lug? or do i have to try and find a d44hd? thanks
No on the D50, yes on the D44HD from an F250.

Or you can use chevy stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks alot guys. located the parts trading my 5 lug stuff for his 8 lug. looked at your guys build ups helped alot. what are some weaknesses of the d44? how big of tires would you guys recomend?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just to clear things up...This swap won't work with a TTB Dana44, right? I think they have different knuckles. I have looked into converting my 5 lug to an 8 a while back, but was told I needed chevy parts and machine work done. I tried to get an F250 knuckle to fit into my housing...but as you could imagine it was all for nothing.

Now I have 5 lugs, and a big frown:cry

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was under the impression that the ttb hubs (8 lug)from an f250 was interchangable with the bronco front hubs(5 lug)... But then again sometimes i mix up the words WILL WORK, and WONT WORK.:shrug

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I was under the impression that the ttb hubs (8 lug)from an f250 was interchangable with the bronco front hubs(5 lug)... But then again sometimes i mix up the words WILL WORK, and WONT WORK.:shrug
Your impression was wrong. It WON'T WORK.

Got it?

Good.

:goodfinge

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Just to clear things up...This swap won't work with a TTB Dana44, right? I think they have different knuckles. I have looked into converting my 5 lug to an 8 a while back, but was told I needed chevy parts and machine work done. I tried to get an F250 knuckle to fit into my housing...but as you could imagine it was all for nothing.

Now I have 5 lugs, and a big frown:cry
Machine work? On what? Chevy 8 lug D44 stuff is a direct bolt on to a Ford D44.

Check Shadofax's threads and supermotors. He did it and I have the same parts. He did some slight grinding on the caliper I think for clearance for his 15" wheels buts thats as close to machine work as it got.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
hey thanks alot guys. located the parts trading my 5 lug stuff for his 8 lug. looked at your guys build ups helped alot. what are some weaknesses of the d44? how big of tires would you guys recomend?
Well, the D44 will basically be holding you up tire wise. That 70 rear will handle about whatever you want, but the front 44 with the 8 lug hubs and alloy axleshafts I feel ok with my 37x12.5 Iroks. You could go to maybe 38's or so, but the bigger you go, the more careful you have to be wheeling if you wish to avoid breakage.

The D44 weak points are the shafts (especially outers), which can be helped with alloy shafts/joints, and going with a spool or fulltime locker up front....again this makes things extra hard on the shafts/joints during trail turning. Part of the reason I spent money on an ARB, open most of the time, fully locked when I want, tends to be easier on the shafts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was planning on some 38's but those can hold off till i get a 60. how about the balljoints? i know my dodge's 44 balljoints cant handle 37's for too long. the bronco will probally be a pavement queen mostly though, there aint shit for trails around me except mud.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
i was planning on some 38's but those can hold off till i get a 60. how about the balljoints? i know my dodge's 44 balljoints cant handle 37's for too long. the bronco will probally be a pavement queen mostly though, there aint shit for trails around me except mud.
The mud is probably the culprit with wearing balljoints. the 8 lug helps because you at least have a slightly larger inner bearing and a heavy duty hub to help handle the tires. If you buy quality balljoints like spicer, they should hold up just fine....my truck not seeing much mud at all, I'd like to see 10 yrs from them. It's getting close to 3 yrs now and there is no sign of wearing. I also use an 8" rim with pretty much stock backspacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the replys guys. just to make sure im think of the proper parts list, i need calipers and mounts, rotors, outer shafts, spindles, knuckles,prob new ball joints and bearings, seals and my old warns will still work. if im thinkin wrong definatly let me know so i can get the shit straight. thanks again, mike.

·
Service before Self
134 Posts
Just to say again, in really plain english. There is ABSOLUTELY NO Ford part swap for TTB 5 lug to 8 lug correct? The ONLY way to have a 8 lug (8 x 6.5) D44 TTB is to swap to chevy parts. That is correct right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts