Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my extended brake lines (sweet) for the front of the truck and cant really remember how the calipers mount to the axle.. :duh So Im looking at JBG's website and they have a pretty decent pic of the hardware.. http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/BRAKEHARDWAREWBOLTS.JPG
I have the bracket (which is at the top of the picture) at the bottom of the caliper with one bolt going through it into the caliper bracket.. Pretty sure this is correct.. The caliper is in there, but seems loose.. What are the long springs or clips in the middle of the picture for.. I think the caliper needs to be loose to move in and out, but wasnt sure how loose.. Also wasnt sure where the springs or clips went.. Thanks..

brian

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
crackhead said:
What are the long springs or clips in the middle of the picture for.. I think the caliper needs to be loose to move in and out, but wasnt sure how loose.. Also wasnt sure where the springs or clips went.. Thanks..

brian
The long spring clips go between the caliper and the piece shown above them. You have to put them together and tap them into position. The caliper should not be loose. It should only be able to move sideways to adjust for pad wear. You will not be able to move it by hand. the small clips are anti rattle clips for the pads. If I can find a picture, I'll post it for you.

Good luck,

:thumbup

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
OK here is a picture of the clip position. You can't read the print in this one, but if you need to I'll rephotograph it so it is easier to see.

Attachments

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
OK here are a couple of better views of the shop manual pages.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really cant read the text, but according to the pictures, i need to put the caliper in the bracket at the top.. I guess the one picture is telling me to pry it up with the screwdriver so the caliper support spring and key can go in there.. Now how much of a pain in the ass should it be to get the spring and key in there?? Do you grease it first?? Thanks tons man... Thats exactly what I needed..

Brian

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
crackhead said:
I really cant read the text, but according to the pictures, i need to put the caliper in the bracket at the top.. I guess the one picture is telling me to pry it up with the screwdriver so the caliper support spring and key can go in there.. Now how much of a pain in the ass should it be to get the spring and key in there?? Do you grease it first?? Thanks tons man... Thats exactly what I needed..

Brian
I usually grease on the top of the caliper support spring, the bottom surface of the caliper support key and the top caliper surfaces that slide to adjust for pad wear. No, once you get the end of that piece in there a light tapping witha hammer will slide it in place.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Ranger429 I can't believe they are actually using a C-clamp to install the outer pad on the caliper..:histerica[/QUOTE said:
Why don't you read the paragraph that goes with that picture. It is not a normal procedure and I have never had to do it, but they cover it in the shop manual any way.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Seabronc said:
Why don't you read the paragraph that goes with that picture. It is not a normal procedure and I have never had to do it, but they cover it in the shop manual any way.

OK, read the paragraph. I still think it is quite funny to use a C-clamp. All that is required is to open up the tab a pinch on the pad.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
First I noticed that this is a 93 Bronco posting in the 78-79 bronco forums. Then I noticed it is discussing a Dana 44. I am guessing that early solid axles are Dana 44's. I am now looking at my brake system, and I don't have two holes drilled and tapped on the caliper for the caliper spring. I am searching the board on how to put anti-rattle clips on my Dana 44 IFS.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yeah, I guess so. I just have to use two caliper slides to hold the caliper in place, and one pad spring.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I don't know how to post a pic on this board.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts