Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the difference between the D44 HD knuckles and the regular D44 knuckle?? If I understand it correctly the HD's are a flat top design?? What makes them more desireable than the regular HD knuckles. I have the oppotunity to get a pair of the HD's and am just wondering if I should pick them up.

Here's a pic of the HD's.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Good question, I actually swapped my 8 lug to 5 lug stuff before I ever saw the axle so I honestly dont know if teh 8 lug oem stuff was flat top.
Maybe Keith will chime in here since he's the one who picked up my axle.
But i dont think he saw it before the 5 lugs were swapped either.

The ones in the pic look to be flat top.
If they are then that is cool, you can run high steer :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that's what I was thinking, that the flat top design would be more desireable. I'm planning on doing the 8 lug swap down the road, so maybe it woudn't hurt to pick these up either way.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of my knuckles..It does look like they're different..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dana 44HD is indeed a true flat knuckle design. That's the steering arm on top of the driver's side and is held on by 3 studs. The passenger side is the same size, and has the same flat top. The nice things about the Dana 44HD,

Housing and tube are thicker than regular Dana 44. Also, brakes are the same dual piston caliper that comes on the Dana 60 axles.

I am in the process (slow one...) if swapping one into my '86 Bronco...here's a web page I've started on the swap...
http://www.2bbnorthwest.org/nwbronco/dana44_ifs_sas/

I've had the passenger side knuckle drilled and tapped. I am going with custom high steer arms. Everything will be above the pumpkin when I'm done...

Bob K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts