Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a stock 44 under my '79 F-150, and a stock low pinion front under a '76 F-250, can I swap knuckles to make the high pinion an 8 lug? I am trying to consolidate the junk in my yard and end up with a couple "runners" instead of just a bunch of projects.
I am going to swap axles under my '88 Bronco, and I would like the '79 suspension and solid axle, but want 8 lug to match the D60 I am going to use in the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I believe the outers are the same. ok i'm talking out of my ass i have no idea... but it seems like the only difference would be the pumpkin.

personally, i'd keep the TTB. a "solid" d44 isn't any stronger, it'll just ride worse and have less up-travel than the TTB..... although you may get some more articulation out of it if you lift it a bunch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, many reasons to change axles, solid 44 has 4.10's, has 4"lift coils, new shocks and c bushings, and a detroit, 8 lug axle has new hubs and brakes. Figured I could save some money by using what I have.
Out ofall the crap and old trucks in the yard I'd be happy to end up with just 2 built with a conglomeration of the stuff I have aquired over the years.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yes it can be done. Some parts may be the same, but I would just swap everything from the ball joints out to be sure with it. (nuckle, spindle, hub, shield, rotor, caliper, outer stub shaft)
The ball joints are the same so if you get new ones get it for whatever axle.
And it doesn't only work Ford stuff, I have Dodge outers on my 79 ford D44 and many people have chevy stuff. You can even use 10 bolt Chevy stuff too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I knew the seals and bearings were the same, and I think I remember checking to see if the ball joints were the same. Good news, thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts