Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read every post that talks about it and didn't see any info about WHERE everyone gets their d50 shafts from...
Dealer? Sixstates?

Obviously the junk yard is the cheapest...but has anyone bought them new?

What would new ones cost?

I always like using new parts where I can and where it's not TOO expensive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried Randy's yet...I've confirmed with Six States that Spicer shafts have to come from the DEALERSHIP. But when you try to call them and explain to the parts guy that you want Dana 50 stuff for a bronco they are CLUELESS. Unless they have part numbers...no way to look it up.

If anyone has bought new front d50 axle shafts and has a part number...that would be great!

Or does anyone know WHICH trucks (F250 I'm guessing) and WHICH YEAR of Ford truck would have the d50 shafts...they may be able to look them up that way....I'm clueless?!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,572 Posts
Got mine at a junkyard for $25. Id expect to pay ~$100 for em new. Dont see much of a reason to get em new though, i mean, its in the front-end, not many of these trucks have seen alot of abuse up there, and actually mine was in excellent shape despite spending its life in the salt belt.

The truck youre looking for is a 80-96 F250 or F250HD. Or, 80-85 F350 since ford didnt use the D60 those years. You dont want a F250LD since that got a leaf spring TTB D44(along with a wacky 8-lug 8.8 out back). Remember, youre only looking for the 2 stub shafts in the middle that hold the third ujoint.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's probably going to be the way I go. The Dealership parts guys are clueless when your doing custom upgrades. Maybe they play dumb because of liability issues...maybe it's because they are clueless-who cares.

$25 bucks is a good deal...I'll keep that as my target price.

Thanks for the info on which trucks I need it from. That's the EXACT info that I needed!:chili: :thumbup

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
I'll trade you the complete 4.10 third member with D50 shafts from my F250 for a 86-96 4.10 D60 front. :toothless

I had a set for sale, but you missed them by a week.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reptillikus said:
Got mine at a junkyard for $25. Id expect to pay ~$100 for em new. Dont see much of a reason to get em new though, i mean, its in the front-end, not many of these trucks have seen alot of abuse up there, and actually mine was in excellent shape despite spending its life in the salt belt.

The truck youre looking for is a 80-96 F250 or F250HD. Or, 80-85 F350 since ford didnt use the D60 those years. You dont want a F250LD since that got a leaf spring TTB D44(along with a wacky 8-lug 8.8 out back). Remember, youre only looking for the 2 stub shafts in the middle that hold the third ujoint.
Just noticed this....I only need the shafts in the middle? Are you referring to the ones that go into the differential? (one on each side)?
I better figure that part out cuz I would have gotten all of them.....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Just noticed this....I only need the shafts in the middle? Are you referring to the ones that go into the differential? (one on each side)?
I better figure that part out cuz I would have gotten all of them.....
You just need the one coming out of the diff on the passenger side.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,572 Posts
Stole this pic from Shadofax's superford site. i thought i had pics of mine, but i guess i dont. You can view all of his pics of them here.

The larger shaft on top is the D50 stub, the lower is the stock D44 stuff. That is the shaft that spines into the pass side of the diff, the center ujoint, and the small stub shaft (remember ttb has 6 axle shafts). You need both of those shafts.
As i recall Andy351 did a good writeup on this before he ditched it for a D60, might want to search for that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reptillikus said:
Stole this pic from Shadofax's superford site. i thought i had pics of mine, but i guess i dont. You can view all of his pics of them here.

The larger shaft on top is the D50 stub, the lower is the stock D44 stuff. That is the shaft that spines into the pass side of the diff, the center ujoint, and the small stub shaft (remember ttb has 6 axle shafts). You need both of those shafts.
As i recall Andy351 did a good writeup on this before he ditched it for a D60, might want to search for that.
That's a perfect picture. So I need both halves that I see there. They are on the passenger side. Is there NOTHING to upgrade the driver side as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts