Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tighten down the nuts on the upper and lower ball joints without the whole stud turning?

Also, the new Moog joints I just installed were really stiff out of the box, but after I put the press on them and installed them into the knuckle, they are not nearly as stiff. IS this a problem?

Should the upper joint appear flush against the underside of the knuckle? Check pics in 80-96 Forum under "Swamp Donkey Progress"

Installing ball joints sucks!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
him them with the impact, or apply upawrd pressure on the knuckls. if it was on the truck you would put a large pry bar on it and pull up, or put a jack under the steering knuckle.
if you have to, rachet strap it to the gorund, and jack up on the knuckle.
that it normal with balljoints, not specifically new ones, but used ones go like that, same iwht tie rod ends.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Put a jack against the bottom of the knuckle and lift the truck with it. The pressure will bind the ball joint shaft in the yoke and you'll be able to tighten the nut with hand tools.

If it's still spinning, disassemble and clean all the surfaces with brake cleaner. There might be grease or something on the bore surface.

·
Registered
677 Posts
on my lower joint the pressing and jack techniques didn't work ether but the stun had a slot on the top and i just fabbed up little tool kinda like a screw driver to hold it in place.

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leonard said:
on my lower joint the pressing and jack techniques didn't work ether but the stun had a slot on the top and i just fabbed up little tool kinda like a screw driver to hold it in place.
Yeah that is what I am goign tohave to do. What did you make it out of? I can't make any of my screwdrivers work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts