Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Im new here, what a great place this is, I love it!!

Ive got 2 rebuilt D60's out of a 79 1 ton bronco, they originally came out of an f350 -78 or 79. The guy I bought them from had leafs in front with a steering rod linkage of some sort.

Id like to know some of your opinions as it seems this is the place to ask:)

Both my diffs have trak locs and 4:10s will the trac loks be enough for rock crawling or will I eventually have to upgrade to arbs?

I want to do more trails than mud, I plan on putting 35" to 38" tires,
Ive got a xd9000i mounted to a male trailer hitch, so I plan to have some nice beefy bumpers on front and back, since it is not a daily driver, I may go 460

But my big dillema is......

Coils or leafs on the front...... will coils be ok with a big block and beefy bumper?

Opinions please!!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You'll want to go lockers for playing in the rocks...and if it were me, while I were in there, I'd probably swap to 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I'd also go with coils up front. Finally, for the 460, if you have a 400, you can put the same money in to a 400 and get roughly the same numbers, until you start talking strokers. If you have a 351M, and you're swapping engines anyway, go 460.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, thanks guys!!

with the coils set up, what type of shocks would you suggest, so that i can get some travel instead of restriction of flexing.
example here on youtube, I am wondering what happened here, it seems his supension is very stiff and limited.Is it beause of $69 shocks that limit the travel of the flex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXA_e70t9-8&feature=player_embedded

Yes!!! if i get arbs, I will most def change my gear ratios, im not so familiar with pumpkins, mine have been rebuilt they are 4:10 with trak locs front and rear, can i sell those as whole units to offset the cost of the arbs and new gears or do i still need major components from it?

thanks again so much!!

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
It's probably the springs. If you want flex get flexy springs. The typical lift springs are pretty stiff. I use the Superflex coils from JBG.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
His springs on that bronco look pretty damn stiff. I have to say he couldn't of flopped it any softer then that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aha, softer more flexy sexy springs :) ok, oh, how about taller shock towers? is there a justified reason why those bilsteins are so damn expensive? would/could they help out a bronco lover? i see them on all those yotas

·
Registered
527 Posts
awesome, thanks guys!!

with the coils set up, what type of shocks would you suggest, so that i can get some travel instead of restriction of flexing.
example here on youtube, I am wondering what happened here, it seems his supension is very stiff and limited.Is it beause of $69 shocks that limit the travel of the flex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXA_e70t9-8&feature=player_embedded?

thanks again so much!!
\\How do you know the shocks were 69 bucks?
This guys problem was limited wheel travel, combined with welded diffs, and a driving style that was,,,,,,,,well,,,,you see.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The F-250 shock towers use the eyelet upper mount. Instead of AC/DC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts