Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't even had my ttb lift on my bronco for that long now, but I want to move on to a sas. I should have never bought a lift for the stupid ttb. :banghead After collecting parts for some time now and talking about starting to tear down my bronco, I finally started yesterday. :banghead Hopefully since I have now started teardown, it will go a lot quicker. I just need to order a couple more parts for the swap but I have enough stuff to get started now. And since I am out of school and working steady the cashflow is good. :thumbup
First to showoff some parts.... First I picked up a sterling 10.25, and then had it regeared to 5.13's. I'm just using the stock L/S in it for now. Lockers front and rear will come in the future. Heres a pic of the axle after a little time with the grinder.

And then I cut off the low-lying stock shock mounts.

To be replaced with these from Ruffstuff for better ground clearance.
(Lost that pic into photobucket trash...)
I have a diff cover for this from Great Lake Offroad but it won't be going on until the first time I change the fluid.

I picked up a kingpin dana 60 off craigslist for cheap and then had it regeared to 5.13's. Just keeping the front open for now, until lockers come later on. The guy already had the leaf spring perches cut off so it was less work for me. :thumbup

I have a diff cover for this from Ruffstuff but it won't be going on til the first time I change out the fluid.

Picked up some shocks.

I will be ordering the weld on cage arms for a d60 in the next few days as well.
I'm going with the JBG Superlift 6-6.5 coil springs.

My f250 shock mounts.

And some other hardware...

I have some 78-79 style coil buckets that I need to clean up and they came with the original upper retainers as well.

Enough of parts....now for some progress. :chili::chili::chili:
A pic of the Skyjacker 8 inch ttb lift for it's last time in there.

My front lift components and rear shocks will be up for sale soon. Look for a for sale thread. :thumbup
A pic from the front.

After some wrenching. :thumbup

Driver side coil bucket off, need to get the passenger side off today.

And a final pic of the bronco and my workspace...a corner of the driveway....:banghead

Any suggestions or critique from anyone..I wanna make sure I do this right. :thumbup More updates will be up sometime later today after I get to work again.

·
Registered
697 Posts
One suggestion. When you are doing the steering, test fit the tie rod clearance with the GLOffroad cover on since it's a lot thicker and could cause clearance issues when you try to turn. Other than that it looks like you are all set.

Are you gonna run the stock 30 spline outers or go with 35 spline for the d60?

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the Ruffstuff cover is the front cover but I really need to check clearance. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that. :thumbup And I'm running the 30 spline outers for now, but eventually I will upgrade to the 35 spline. I just wanna get the swap done before I worry about more upgrades.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Actually the Ruffstuff cover is the front cover but I really need to check clearance. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that. :thumbup And I'm running the 30 spline outers for now, but eventually I will upgrade to the 35 spline. I just wanna get the swap done before I worry about more upgrades.
If you look at my SAS write up you'll see that I'm also using the Ruff Stuff diff cover, and my tie rod does hit it. In fact, I'm not even hitting my steering stops right now, the diff cover is limiting my steering. My steering is still better than it was with the TTB because my tires no longer rub the radius arms, but when I have time I'm going to clearance my diff cover to clear the tie rod.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at my SAS write up you'll see that I'm also using the Ruff Stuff diff cover, and my tie rod does hit it. In fact, I'm not even hitting my steering stops right now, the diff cover is limiting my steering. My steering is still better than it was with the TTB because my tires no longer rub the radius arms, but when I have time I'm going to clearance my diff cover to clear the tie rod.
Yea, I remember seeing your problem with the cover. Nice write up by the way. :thumbup should help me with my radius arm set up. Hopefully mine isn't a problem but I may have to clearance mine as well. Guess I'll figure it out when I get to that point.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Time for my updates from today...
First I got the passenger side coil bucket off. I hate getting these things off. A lot of grinding to get the rivets out and then I have to pry the coil bucket off of the frame rail.

Then I got both sides cleaned up and painted the frame rails.

And I also cleaned up and painted the coil buckets since they were pretty rusty.
Then I mounted the driver side coil bucket. I was able to get two bolts through the original holes but also had to move the two left ones towards the center. And I put one through the bottom as well.

On the bottom I had to clearance around a rivet and a plate by cutting the bottom corner off of the coil bucket.

And then I mounted the passenger side coil bucket. I was able to get bolts in all 4 original holes and once again put one through the bottom.

And some clearance issues on the bottom side of this coil bucket with a rivet that I solved with a cutoff wheel.

That's all for today. I'm ordering my cage arms tomorrow so hopefully shipping doesn't take too long so that I can get some more progress. :thumbup

·
Registered
316 Posts
looks like fun

on the front coil buckes - did you move them forward?

Everyone, including me, has moved them forward - this way the back of the front tire clears -

I am assuming that you read up on the various D 60 installs -

If you read through mine - I noted all my screw ups and the items I had to do over due to the screw ups - this may help you

also when setting things up - coil buckets or front axle - rear arm mouts - and the new transmition cros member you will have to do - measure from the front rear leaf spring bolt - as you know each side front rear leaf bolt will be in the same place - it is a good benck mark

you can find my old build under woodydog - it is also with everyone elses in the tread at the top = or let me know and I will pm it to you

have fun
:beer

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am assuming you read the d60's here - also look at shadowfax and look at any of his posts for his supermoto site then go look at his various pics at the supermoto

Ultimate SAS project source

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well gee, Im glad you gave me some credit for helpin... Haha

Get them arms ordered and lets get this thing goin again.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like fun

on the front coil buckes - did you move them forward?

Everyone, including me, has moved them forward - this way the back of the front tire clears -

I am assuming that you read up on the various D 60 installs -

If you read through mine - I noted all my screw ups and the items I had to do over due to the screw ups - this may help you

also when setting things up - coil buckets or front axle - rear arm mouts - and the new transmition cros member you will have to do - measure from the front rear leaf spring bolt - as you know each side front rear leaf bolt will be in the same place - it is a good benck mark

you can find my old build under woodydog - it is also with everyone elses in the tread at the top = or let me know and I will pm it to you

have fun
:beer
I moved the coil buckets forward a good bit and made sure to measure so that they were even on both sides. Thanks for the advice. :beer I've also read through all of the sas threads on here so hopefully I know what I'm doing and won't screw anything up.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well gee, Im glad you gave me some credit for helpin... Haha

Get them arms ordered and lets get this thing goin again.
Yea..thanks for the help. Between the two of us it went pretty quickly. And the arms will be ordered tomorrow. I just hope that they don't take forever to get here.... :drinkbud

·
Registered
316 Posts
I moved the coil buckets forward a good bit and made sure to measure so that they were even on both sides. Thanks for the advice. :beer I've also read through all of the sas threads on here so hopefully I know what I'm doing and won't screw anything up.

have fun - I read up for over a year.... and ....I could not believe how many things I ended up doing over.... but it was a lot of fun - I am now hooked on building or working on cars,..... even upgraded the stick to plasma and tig (but I am still practising on the tig) oh well I am hooked...

Have fun and post lot's of pic's - you will get a lot of help here...

:drinkbud

·
Registered
607 Posts
Damn Erik, :thumbup
Looks like it's finally coming along. Good to see some progress. Pictures are awesome btw!

Post more keep it up. Can't wait to see the finale!

D

·
Registered
562 Posts

And some clearance issues on the bottom side of this coil bucket with a rivet that I solved with a cutoff wheel.
Wow.

Why didn't you just cut it off on a 45 degree angle? That would have been a much better choice than that 90 degree cut.

It's going to weaken the bucket like that and that sharp point is a starting place for a stress crack.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow.

Why didn't you just cut it off on a 45 degree angle? That would have been a much better choice than that 90 degree cut.

It's going to weaken the bucket like that and that sharp point is a starting place for a stress crack.
Didn't realize I only needed to cut off only that little bit at the time. I thought the coil bucket was going to be further forward, hence the extra cutting. Then I moved it back to get both sides even and get the bucket flat on the frame rail. I doubt that little corner will make a huge difference, but I will definitely keep an eye on it for cracks. :beer

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn Erik, :thumbup
Looks like it's finally coming along. Good to see some progress. Pictures are awesome btw!

Post more keep it up. Can't wait to see the finale!

D
Thanks. :beer I'm just glad to finally be starting. Definitely more pics (I got a new digi camera last night :toothless).
And on another note I ordered cage arms about an hour ago...I'll see how long they take. And my spring plates and u-bolts shipped today from Ruffstuff for my rear axle. Hopefully I can at least get the rear axle swapped in this weekend. :chili:

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One question though. In order to use my bronco driveshafts with my d60 and sterling pinions what kind of joint will I need. Also, anywhere I can get it online? I wanna see some prices online before I go checkout a driveline shop.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What years do those shock mounts fit? I'd like to get a set for my swap.
What years as in what year bronco? Should fit any but you need shocks with eyes at both ends. It's an f250 shock mount, I forget what year truck it's from though?? You can get them at the ford dealer. And JBG sells them too. :thumbup

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have an 84 F250 and my mounts are different. They have the stud at the top.

They must have changed them, and I was just wondering if you knew what year so I can keep an eye out in the junk yard.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts