Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install a 78' D60 under my 79' Bronco. I plan on making custom steering components with DOM and Hiems using the stock knuckles. The problem I am already seeing is the tie rod is going to hit the diff. cover. I think flipping the tie rod to the top of the peice on the knuckle will help some but I am not sure. I am wondering what other people have done to avoid this problem or fix the problem. I have 40" tires to go on the axle will the size of the tire prevent me from even being able to turn far enough that the tie rod will even be an issue?

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Just use some PVC tubing for your tierods, that way if it hits the cover it can just flex around it :thumbup j/k, sup Bill, drop in more often :drinkbud

·
Registered
48 Posts
anything stopping you from going with steer arms on top of the knuckle? thats prolly the best way to do it.

yes i know ford has the weakest knuckles of the big three but i would have to say they aren't that weak. and if they do break its a good excuse to go with some dedenbears!

-cutts-

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I'm using 1.25 DOM for a tie rod flipped to the top of the arm on the knuckle. Yes, it does hit the cover and yes it is a serious problem. The solution? Adjust the bumpstops until the link doesn't hit any more. You lose some steering, but I think you'll find that your stops are adjusted just about where they need to be to keep the tires from rubbing any way. If you're running coil springs, you can add high displacement spacers under the Heims to gain a little more height, but if you have leaf springs you'll probably have to run small blocks under the springs to get clearance anyway. I run 1" blocks bolted into the spring packs a la Zero Rates.

I also have high steer arms on mine. I can't use them at my lift (4") because the tie rod will hit the frame on stuff. The 78/9 frame might give you more room, but measure things out before ordering high steer arms, they ain't cheap. I do use the high steer on the passenger side for the drag link and then use bumpstops to keep the frame off of it.

This is clearance to the spring:

This one shows how everything fits. The tie rod just touches the front cover at full steering lock in both directions.:

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Larston said:
I'm using 1.25 DOM for a tie rod flipped to the top of the arm on the knuckle. Yes, it does hit the cover and yes it is a serious problem.
Then its gonna be an even worse problem for him, because he's using 1.5" DOM for the tierod.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
JahWarrior said:
Then its gonna be an even worse problem for him, because he's using 1.5" DOM for the tierod.
Definitely ;)

I remeasured mine. I've got 1.5 on the tie rod and 1.25 for my drag link. It works, and as I said, with the big tires, adjustments for clearance of all the parts tend to coincide in the end. Depending on the 40's he's running, he'll probably run into the same issues I did with 42's as far as adjusting bumpstops.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,834 Posts
Larston said:
I remeasured mine. I've got 1.5 on the tie rod and 1.25 for my drag link. It works, and as I said, with the big tires, adjustments for clearance of all the parts tend to coincide in the end. Depending on the 40's he's running, he'll probably run into the same issues I did with 42's as far as adjusting bumpstops.
that must explain it then. I couldnt figure out why mine tierod cleared and yours didnt, but im running 1.25" DOM for my tierod. I cant crank my bumpstops out either, for some reason they were welded in the position theyre in :shrug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts