Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently did a brake job on my D60 and am haveing some problems with the pads I bought. The pads seem to over heat very quickly 4 or 5 hard hit and there is a noticeable decrease in stopping power, and smoke comming from the front brakes. I thought the calipers were possibly sticking so those were replaced along with the master cylinder. I think its the Vato Zone pads I'm useing, which are the best the store sells. So what are you useing and hows it working with your big tires?

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
Neither Jason nor I are having this problem, I know my pads are from Vato Zone, I'll hit up Ed at THE SH0P and try to find out what pads we ran...

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i ran whatever the parts store gave me with my loaded calipers when i did the swap 7 years ago. i'm still running those same pads. i do notice that they stop better after the first 5-10 stops depending on ambient temperature and humidity.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the coments comming.
I looked at the pads from NAPA last night online and they actually look like the ones that were on the axle when I did my SAS (It had a recent brake job, so I left it alone). I was really happy with the brakes untill I changed the pads, thing would almsot stop on a dime.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Did you break in the pads? Did you accidentally get brake fluid or some other non-water liquid on them during install or during your travels? If it were my truck I'd take the wheels off when they're cool and inspect them to make sure they don't have stuff on them. Give them a good spray down with some brake cleaner just to be sure. After you get the wheels installed take do a few medium to medium high pressure stops, with plenty of cooling time between each stop to break in the pads.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have cleaned them thouroghly a couple times, and have tried two different sets from auto zone (the $19.99 and 29.99 sets). Each time I cleaned the roters and with the 2nd set I replaced the calipers. Also broke the glaze on the roter wit a DA sander. I drove to the moutains last weekend so they should have been broke in by now, but still getting the burning brake smell and loss of stopping power. They work great for the first couple hits till they get hot.
Think I'll try the NAPA pads out if I can stop threr at lunch today.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Have you checked out your rear brakes? If you've got drums they could be out of asjustment and dragging after they get warm. Alslo, check the pushrod that goes from the booster to the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you checked out your rear brakes? If you've got drums they could be out of asjustment and dragging after they get warm. Alslo, check the pushrod that goes from the booster to the master cylinder.
I did check out the rear drums and they actually had the oposate problem, they were too loose so I adjusted them out. Made it better but still not right.
I haven't changed the push rod since the master cylindar/booster are still the original from before I did the brakes, which were working fine before the pads. I did try a spare MC i had arround but changed back to the original that came with the doner F350.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
I had this happen once. the pads were glazed and were never the same but no problems after I changed them with the vato zone pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts