Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much material needs to be ground off of the caliper to get 15" wheels to fit on a Ford D60? Will 15" wheels clear 14 bolt drums? I heard before that 16.5 wheels were good for losing beads so I'm considering going to 15 inchers. Is there a solution other than expensive beadlocks for the 16.5's? All the tires I'm looking at come in either 15 or 16.5 wheel sizes. I haven't bought any wheels yet so my options are still wide open I'd prefer 16.5's for the extra clearance around the calper. Anyone have a solution/ real life story to add? Thanx. NORM

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
For a 15" wheel you can get away with 2.5 to 2.75 backspacing and no or little grinding. I suppose 3" might work, too if you want to grind a little, but I dont' have hands-on experience with that setup.

Yes, they'll clear 14 bolt drums fine

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, and 2.75" BS sucks (scrub radius).

Go with 16.5s and beadlocks. Or find a tire in 16" or 17" that you like.

It's also important to know what year D60 you're talking about. The 70s calipers don't clear nearly as nicely as the later ones do.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
86-91 Ford Kingpin D60

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
well mine is 79 kingpin D60. i run 16.5 wagon spoke steelies. the bolt that retains the caliper key barely clears the wheel weights if they have to put one on the inside. you can get the weld on bead lock rings from a few places. they arent that expensive really IF you have steel rims already. you can get chevy outers and run chevy brakes which will either fit or can be grinded easier because of the design. you can get 17" wheels since there are more tires available. depends if your size is avalable. like there are no 39.5 TSL's in 17"... are there? i dont know anything about the backspacing helping out. i havent had any rims with different BS to compare side by side. i cant even tell you the BS of the rims i have. im trying to buy all the 16.5s i can find in the paper if they are 9.75". as soon as i get 4 matching i will start to beadlock them with weld on rings. i got 3 same & 2 oddballs. eventually i want 20" beadlocks & XL's thanks to someone who shall remain nameless. gotta get the front D60 in first.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
bill from wt is running 15's on a bj 60 with 4.25 bs. He just had to grind the ridge on the caliper bracket. If you use the 382s bearing race, it pushes it out some, but he has the two piston caliper, not the single that is supposedly out there.
I tried to put 15's on my 88 KP and it would have required quite a bit of grinding, which I wasnt crazy about doing, and I didnt want 2.75 bs. 3.5 I could live with, but it seems like the only noncustom options are 2.75 and 4.25 on 8 luig 15's

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well mine is 79 kingpin D60
I didn't know that Ford made a Kingpin D60 in 79. If they made one earlier than 86 please tell! :)

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
try this to see what had a D60 under it. have you read your BIBLE lately? i think ford was as early as 77.5

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
If I were to do the swap again, i would pay the extra coin for the 78/79 cause running coils would be SUPER easy. It was a KP Norm, and I know you are running leaves, I just was hoping someone wouldnt be a keith disciple

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just always here about trac bar problems from guys that allegedly build there stuff right. I figured I would take it out of the equation. Keith has been a great help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts