Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I'd open the diff and see what condition the gears are in, but sounds like a nice upgrade over the 9". Would that be a full floater?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it match your current gears?
no...I've got 3.55 right now...

But i want to swap to 1 ton axles and ill gear and lock them before they go in...but i think im gonna pass on the 60...From what I've been reading a 10.25 will be a bit stronger with more upgrade potential?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I think he's probably just off... they should be 3.55 gears in that D60r.

Yes, a 10.25 is a stronger, and much heavier axle. It also comes with a VSS provision if you decide you ever need it...

But otherwise, I'd go with a GM 14bolt... because they're so common and cheap, and you might even score one with a factory locker.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The 60 will have better ground clearence over the 10.25 as well. I think the 60 would have better oportunities for upgrade. 14 bolt is the best option really.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
But otherwise, I'd go with a GM 14bolt... because they're so common and cheap, and you might even score one with a factory locker.

:stupid X2 on the 14 bolt if you don't need VSS. With a drop out third member for the pinion and threaded carrier adjusters the 14B is WAY easier to regear than the 10.25. Parts for it are somewhat cheaper, you can get a sweet bolt on pinion guard for it thats not available for the 10.25, it has a third pinion bearing supporting the head of the pinion that the 10.25 doesn't have, and they're so common in the junk yards that they're usually cheap. You can probably find a 14B for that same $100 price you were mentioning for the D60. I've set up two 10.25's in the last few months, and then I did a 14B it pissed me off how much easier it is to set those things up. If I didn't need VSS I'd have one under my truck.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
:stupid X2 on the 14 bolt if you don't need VSS. With a drop out third member for the pinion and threaded carrier adjusters the 14B is WAY easier to regear than the 10.25. Parts for it are somewhat cheaper, you can get a sweet bolt on pinion guard for it thats not available for the 10.25, it has a third pinion bearing supporting the head of the pinion that the 10.25 doesn't have, and they're so common in the junk yards that they're usually cheap. You can probably find a 14B for that same $100 price you were mentioning for the D60. I've set up two 10.25's in the last few months, and then I did a 14B it pissed me off how much easier it is to set those things up. If I didn't need VSS I'd have one under my truck.
Since dave helped me build a 14 bolt i agree with prettymuch everything he said....

A few odd things that we noticed were:
Seems that the 10.25 had bigger bearings than the 14 bolt. The 10.25 also has a big lip on the bottom of it, not as bad as the 14 bolt, but it could still be cumbersome. the 10.25 spring perches will match right up to the bronco. the 14 bolt's won't.....they have to be ground off....its a big ole pain too. Most 14 bolts also use strap style yokes, which i don't like...so you get to get an aftermarket ubolt style one.

really its 6 to one 1/2 dozen the other. I say they are about equal axles. The 14 bolt is worlds easier to setup thou.

The 60 has it advantanges too. Its light for one thing. Parts are pretty cheap for it too. Most of the front d60 diff stuff will work in a rear application. Makes trail spares a little fewer i guess.

for $100 i would probably hold out. I got my 14bolt with 4.10s for $100. But it needed a rebuild

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What size tire are you planning on running? I'd probably go with a 14b if you're going to run over a 37" tire.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Most of the front d60 diff stuff will work in a rear application. Makes trail spares a little fewer i guess.
like what parts? the driveshaft yoke is that it? gears, carrier, axles, hubs, brakes, they are all different!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also beware of the 2wd D60 rears because most come with the weak 16 spline axles. I purchased one and sold it when I found the 16 spline axle shafts.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
like what parts? the driveshaft yoke is that it? gears, carrier, axles, hubs, brakes, they are all different!
Well, yeah, ford is reverse rotation, i forgot about that....chevy d60 stuff would be similar i would imagen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts