Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of 5 original alloy wheels I polished up but am missing 4 of these anchors. I looked around and called a few dealerships and the only ones I can find are on ebay at 27 bucks each which is a crazy price,

I think Ford Part # D7TZ-1A100-A got you a bag of 12 for $5 to $10 when they were available.

I'm sure someone has come up with a solution to replace them short of tapping the wheel and putting in helicoils, let me Know your way around this problem.

Thanks.

Alan.

·
Registered
87XLT 5.0 C6
194 Posts
I had the same problem. The inserts, which I think were nylon, crumbled.

I made some replacements out of aluminum, pretty easy if you have access to a metal lathe and the skill to use one. Most people don't.

·
Registered
1995 EB Bronco 5.0L E4OD Manual Xfer case, 1996 EB 5.8L E4OD Electronic Xfer case, leather int.
19 Posts
Alan,

a little off the original topic, but how did you end up polishing the OEM rims?? I used stripper on mine to remove the roasted clearcoat and in some places the clear coat peeled off nicely and in others it is still clinging like an angry monkey. I gave up and bought some used ones from CL that were actually in fantastic condition for $200 for all 4. I still have my originals and would like to clean them up and clear coat them. Any insight into your polishing process would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan,

a little off the original topic, but how did you end up polishing the OEM rims?? I used stripper on mine to remove the roasted clearcoat and in some places the clear coat peeled off nicely and in others it is still clinging like an angry monkey. I gave up and bought some used ones from CL that were actually in fantastic condition for $200 for all 4. I still have my originals and would like to clean them up and clear coat them. Any insight into your polishing process would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Bill

Don't give up! I was not going to be beaten by multi layers of clearcoat. Like you say some gives up easily and other parts you have to keep going back to. I noticed that the paintstripper did not damage the alloy so I left it on overnight and used a plastic scraper to chip off what didn't want to come off. If necessary I did it overnight 3 times or more.
Another thing in my favor is I'm retired so I have time on my hands. I think the clearcoat goes on as powdercoat and is baked in an oven so it really sticks. The wheels on the Bronco now are refurbished ones I bought on line and after I had had them for a couple of years the clearcoat started to peel off in large peices so I thought my spares, the ones original to the Bronco, would strip easily. Nah ! they must be from the good ole days when they made stuff to last.

All I can tell you is keep at it you'll get there.

Good luck to you Bill.

Alan.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Make a brass insert and press it in or tap the rim itself and find the right screw on McMaster Carr
I believe the type pf head on that screw is referred to as a 'phillister' a bit domed, but not as much as a button head

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may have solved the Problem, I ordered some Rivet Nuts, they look like empty shell casings with threads inside. If you file a flat on the bottom rim so now it look like a circle with a flat bottom it will drop into the offset hole at the back of the wheel and line up with the screw hole. I lightly hammered one in with a punch and it works fine I'll add some glue later to make sure it stays put when the hub cap is removed. 1/4-20 Rivet Nuts a bag of 30 for $9 on Amazon.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
77 Posts
Recently cleaned up some factory slots and used easy off oven cleaner (yellow can) for stripping and this to polish. If you haven't tried easy off, just might do the trick..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.