Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,164 Posts
I agree, the 351C- 400 M did not use torque to yield bolts. As a matter of fact, in the old days, we always reused them without any issue, just made sure to clean them and chase the holes. Also, 99.9% of the time in the head gasket leaks, it is usually coolant. Also doubt that one of the oil galley plugs is leaking on the back of the motor, I still would lean towards a rear main seal. Also be sure to clean your bolts and crankshaft holes and use a good quality sealer such as red Loctite on them on when you reinstall them.
.....And yes, I would still pull the transmission, before I pulled the engine.

just my $0.02

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Not for nothing, but wouldn't you be better off pulling the transmission if you think it's the rear main?
I might be but I've never dropped a transmision and I just pulled this engine a few times, so at this point... it's something I'm confident with or something I've never done. I suppose, either way I'd get access to the exhaust, so that's pretty much a wash.

If it's not leaking from the valve covers, the intake manifold etc - there are only so many places it could be leaking from.
Good luck.
That's good stuff and Thanks!

Yo BikerPepe`,
Any chance you can borrow a kit with oil trace dye & ultraviolet (UV) light?
Maybe I could have at the localO'Really's or VatoZone but it's all ready to be pulled now.

I'm trying to think of anything else that could be putting oil back there.
Not much else I can imagine bud. No red to the fluid at all. Checked on white paper towels to be sure, right off the bat. If it were a freeze plug, then it wouldn't be oil. I don't know about the oil passage you speak of.

As you can see when it was on the stand... I never even pulled the fly wheel off. Didn't see any need, at the time. Whatever it is, considering the leak and the fact that it never even got put in gear, much less went down the road... any oil leak could only flow down. It's literally coming out from behind the dust cover, so it has to be coming from inside the tranny case... leaving the RMS. Not having removed the fly wheel for inspection, I'm not sure what else is behind there.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas guys. Guess we'll see this afternoon.

Can anybody help me find the RMS w/sleeve to order for this 400?

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
278 Posts
It looks like you will have to get the sleeve separate, but the pricing seems right.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,164 Posts
You’re a call, but it’s a lot less work to pull the transmission and transfer case. When you remove the motor, you are removing all the bolts to remove the transmission, other than the driveshaft, the crossmember, cooling lines, exhaust, shift linkage and a couple of wires. In this case, you’d probably be able to slide it back enough to do your repair and your exhaust work.

Again, just my $0.02

·
Super Moderator
25,830 Posts
Yo,
"Examine the following areas for oil leakage.
Underhood
  • Valve cover gaskets (6584)
  • Intake manifold gaskets (9439)
  • Head gaskets (6051)
  • Oil bypass filter (6714)
  • Distributor O-ring
  • Oil level indicator (dipstick) tube connection
  • Oil pressure sensor (9278)
  • Cup plugs and/or pipe plugs at end of oil passages
Under Engine, with Vehicle on Hoist
  • Oil pan gasket (6710)
  • Oil pan front and rear end seals
  • Crankshaft front seal (6700)
  • Crankshaft rear oil seal (6701)
  • Engine damper keyway (damper to damper bolt/washer interface)"
by FORD in 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,079 Posts
If it were a freeze plug, then it wouldn't be oil. I don't know about the oil passage you speak of.
It looks like a freeze plug, but it covers the back of the camshaft, so it's not a water jacket item. I've never seen one leak, but I suppose oil gets on it from the inside. It's directly above the crank.

As for the oil passage, looking at your pic, it looks like your oil pressure sending unit is screwed into it.

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Well... no point discussing it now. The engine is out. I cleaned up the back side because I couldn't see ANY obvious sign of the oil leak. It was far from clean back there. Looks like oil had been blowing around in that gap for a good while and that's no surprise, as Dad doesn't do much for maintenance and that thing had oil leaks all over the place. I cleaned the backside up with carb cleaner, for the clean/dry look. Inspected again... nothing obvious. Had some paper towel scrap fuzz on the block from scrubbing, so I grabbed the compressed air gun and was blowing the fuzzies off. Blew around the rear main to clear out the flex plate holes and oil came right out of the bottom gap. Since it's probably the old 2 piece, rope seal (might not be rope, this engine was rebuilt back in the early 90's)... it could just be oil coming out of the rope I guess, but I'm pretty confident we found the problem and it was the rear main leaking... nothing else appeared to be possible. The plug at the back of the camshaft looks perfect, as do the 2 threaded/sealed plugs on either side of it.

Again... I'm ignorant and inexperienced, so bear that in mind. You guys who know this stuff inside and out make decisions based on experience and knowledge that I don't have. I've only done 1 rms repair and since I ended up with the coolant leak and blew my distributor up, that led to the long block reman so I'll never know if it was done right or not... but it's back in the '95, so I'll get another crack at it, eventually. I couldn't find any decent details on replacing it on the 400 in my Haynes book and I'm totally unfamiliar with the 2 piece, rope seal situation. When I started telling Dad that I would look it up and figure it out, he got twitchy about the possibility of me somehow screwing up the camshaft bearings in the process. He then, of course... said it was all up to me but he pretty much destroyed my confidence with it. Rather than argue with him over it or more importantly, have him not trust my repair and have a piss-poor attitude, I called our old rig mechanic in Idaho. Dad trusts the kid completely and so do I. He's backed up through October but when I told him I already had the engine out and on a stand, ready to go... he said he could squeeze a quick rms repair in-between other jobs. So we drained as much coolant as possible without flipping the engine upside down (tipped 45 deg., both ways) and drained the oil pan. Monday, I'll load the engine up on the stand, set it on my golf cart trailer, strap it down and haul it over to Idaho.

In the meantime... I'll move the exhaust forward and weld repair that flange. By the time we go to get the engine back, I should be ready and waiting to drop it back home.

Not a victorious day by any means but phuk it. I need to get this damn thing dealt with so I can move on. I'm about sick of this old thing now. So much so... the idea of doing a complete rebuild of the other 400 for restoring the lil' lady's '78 is NOT something I even wanna think about anymore.

That's about all. Thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
@BikerPepe` i have a friend that is a diesel mechanic up in Spokane looking for side work. You want me to put you two in touch, he more than likely has time this weekend to come do a RMS for you.

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I appreciate the offer, seriously. I can't emphasis that enough. If it was my rig, I would totally take you up on it. As it is... I'm going to stick with the guy Dad trusts. He's not much longer for this world and I want him to feel good about driving his rig around. He's got some fishing trips in Montana he's been really wanting to do before he kicks the bucket and I want him to enjoy those last few things without nagging BS floating around in his head.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I totally understand. I am most peoples go to around here even though I can’t “officially” turn a wrench any more... something about court ordered non-compete clause in a contract when my dad and I sold our business a couple years back. .. so now I just offer diagnostic tips, and/or hang over fender wells and point at stuff.

Dillion is in a similar boat, he can’t officially work on stuff due to his contract with the company he works for, but he can give advice and lend a hand. He does stellar work up their. I have seen his work first hand... such a stand up guy, he’s driving all the way down here to La Grande from Spokane next week to help me put the engine in my Bronco.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,164 Posts
I doubt that it is a rope seal, more than likely a two piece rubber seal. When he drops the rear main cap, make sure he takes a good look at the bearing for wear. If you see copper, you may have some other issues. Other than that, just make sure the seal lip points towards the motor and be sure to offset the two seal halves and put a dab of RTV on each end.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Let us pray...

... I make it 40 miles without all hell breaking loose.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,563 Posts
Holy Crap Pepe`,
Tempt Fate much?

so, with CJ's thoughts on Main / Rod Bearings this
might be the last & perfect opportunity to freshen that lower end up.
You got any "plasti-gauge" to check tolerances?
(i would replace those rod bearings, Mains only if you see the copper he mentioned).

Just a thought Brudda' as the access don't git any easier.

Safe travels with that engine stand set up.

Later,
Dragon.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Definitely worth the look, those 351M-400 are notorious for bottom end noise, especially on start up, if so, time to drop in the 460.

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
We'll see what the knowledgeable mechanic has to say while he's got it. It should be fine... having been fully rebuilt in the 90's when it was still in the Mark V, with 2 cross country trips but low mileage use ever since. If I have to pull it out and deal with the bottom end after Dad is done with it, then I will. As it is... I've got another running 400 in the lil' lady's '78, one 400 out of the '79 parts Bronco with a questionable MCC block and one 400 CF block, I found and picked up to replace it. I won't be spending money on a power horse 460. No reason, money or desire to go there.

I've got a video chat with my bro in the joint, then I'll hop in the shower after and head the engine over to the mech. shop this afternoon. I took every precaution I could securing that engine on the golf cart, tilt trailer... and I'll be driving very slowly to minimize road bounce. Not much else I could do with what I've got around here.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,239 Posts
My go to method of transporting an engine is a tire in the bed of my truck with the engine sitting on it and the sump of the oil pan in the center of the tire. Toss on a couple of ratchet straps to keep it from tilting over.

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I wanted to do that but I don't have an umounted tire and the only spare I could dismount is OEM size, so the pan wouldn't clear the floor. Like I said... "Not much else I could do with what I've got around here. "

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I've got a video chat with my bro in the joint, then I'll hop in the shower after and head the engine over to the mech. shop this afternoon. I took every precaution I could securing that engine on the golf cart, tilt trailer... and I'll be driving very slowly to minimize road bounce. Not much else I could do with what I've got around here.
Where's your sense of adventure? I figured you'd be draggin' the motor over there with Black Betty lol! Praying it goes well.

How's your bro in the joint doing? Gotta be tough...

·
36,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Haha... towing that engine behind my bike? That damn 400 probably weighs as much as my bike. I may be crazy... but I'm not stupid. My sense of adventure was towing an engine, on a Harbor Freight stand, propped up on a golf cart trailer, 40 miles across bumpy backroads. How much more adventure should a fella ask for? I haven't been that nervous, that long for quite some time. ;)
We got it over there, with no mishaps. Drove slow with the e-flashers on and not a single car honked or pushed. I think anybody that saw that crazy setup rolling down the road understood my reasons for taking my time. Appreciate all the good vibes ya'll were sending. I'm sure they helped.

The kid that owns/runs the shop was out at lunch, so I made sure to ask the kids assistant 2 specific things. 1. Use a sleeve with the repair and 2. check the crank bearings while he's in there. Take his time and do it right and tomorrow I'll get to work on fixing the exhaust mate flanges on the y-pipe and have it ready to drop back in place by the time we get it back.

Funny thing... we got over there and I had a strange feeling. Drove across the street to take a piss and rolled by Dad's old trailer court. While driving by we saw his old "landlady" outside, so we swung by to say "Hi!" and it turned out Dad's old hunting and fishing buddy who owned the RV park was there. This was odd because they had previously moved to Montana. Apparently, they were back and settling in there for a few years before heading down to the Oregon coast. We stopped by and talked for awhile. Guy showed off his new fishing boat and some mountain lion skins he had from Montana. Gave Dad a pack of some Deer sausages. Dad got invited over for some fishing and hunting. I know his body is failing a piece at time but I really hope he can take the guy up on his offer. Dad never had a lot of good friends but he spoke fondly of the time he spent with that guy and often, so whether he does or not... it was a good afternoon and made Dad happy to see a good guy he probably figured he'd never see again. Maybe that was why this whole thing went that way. Never can tell when it comes to "fate".

My bro in jail is not doing well at all. His heart is giving him fits, he gets none of the medication his previous Doctors had him on or have recommended to the prison. He's up to 310 lbs. now and that's not helping a damn thing. Honestly... he's just miserable. His lawyer is working on his case still... but he's completely lost faith in the guy for many legit reasons. Doesn't help all he can do is sit around, feeling like ass and ruminate. Max security doesn't allow for much time outside the cell and apparently guards are quitting left and right, so as the staff gets smaller, the restrictions get tighter... as you would expect. Says they closed the Seattle area penn, so they've got a lot more prisoners in Walla Walla now. Got a couple hundred China Flu infections in there with 'em. Wish I had anything positive to say but it's just a sh!t show and as law enforcement gets further under fire, the worse it will get for those bastards. Appreciate the concern though, fwiw.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts