Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,141 Posts
Lol! Glad you got it there w/o incident. Good deal with your Dad gettin' to meet up with his old friend, I'm sure that was good for him. Sad about your bud, I just can't immagine being in that situation, especially for the reason he's there. Praying for a miracle that justice will prevail and he'll be released, but man, just doesn't seem to be much of that these days.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,782 Posts
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic.................................

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Got the new exhaust flange welded on. Took some pics of the process but in the end... too ashamed of the welds to share. Still needs cleaned up and I'll use some light to check for potential leaks but I'm pretty sure it's well sealed under the drippy booger welds. Came out so much better on my practice welds before I got in the rig and had to deal with bad angles, uncomfortable access, etc. At least I got the setting nailed down before I booger'd it all up. Unfortunately... the guts have been playing hell with me again and now my prosthetic isn't fitting well and causing me more problems, so I'm hitting this much slower than I'd like. Seems par for the course these days. :rolleyes:

Haven't gotten the call that the engine is ready for pickup yet either, so time is still somewhat on my side. Will update as things drag on. ;)

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, BW1356 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears, 31x10.5 Kenda A/T
899 Posts
Got the new exhaust flange welded on. Took some pics of the process but in the end... too ashamed of the welds to share. Still needs cleaned up and I'll use some light to check for potential leaks but I'm pretty sure it's well sealed under the drippy booger welds. Came out so much better on my practice welds before I got in the rig and had to deal with bad angles, uncomfortable access, etc. At least I got the setting nailed down before I booger'd it all up. Unfortunately... the guts have been playing hell with me again and now my prosthetic isn't fitting well and causing me more problems, so I'm hitting this much slower than I'd like. Seems par for the course these days. :rolleyes:

Haven't gotten the call that the engine is ready for pickup yet either, so time is still somewhat on my side. Will update as things drag on. ;)
It will all be right before long le pew, I would still like to see your booger welds lol. My left elbow has been screaming at me since the pressure change, I can only imagine a leg stump. Have you been effected by the fires? I hope everything is good your way brother! Sorry for the drunken post lol

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Everything works out... one way or another. ;) Drunken post... not a big deal bud. Understandable, all things considered. I do miss me some sips of Mr. Daniels every once in awhile. Sorry to hear about the elbow pains. This growin' old shit ain't worth a damn. Wish my stump was the biggest issue over these damn belly aches. Had to tell the ol' lady not to panic if she caught me passed out on the floor... just check for breathing and give me a nudge. ;)

We've been lucky enough around here with only a few fires that have been mostly contained. The damn smoke is the bigger issue now. Thick like fog. Visibility down to less than a mile and particulate reports at the worst levels. Not as bad as when St. Helens blew... by a long shot but reportedly the worst we've had with any fires on record. Not much good for working outside anyway.

I left the camera in the shop but when I get it all together, I'll share it here. Just don't give yourself a belly ache laughin' too much. Trying to be cheap and pickup a set of flip goggles to stick my head in the wheel-well and grabbed a 10 when I should have got a 9 or maybe even an 8 shade lens replacement. Live and learn. Better than going flash blind I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,172 Posts
Well, I bet your welding is still better than my low budget electrode welder can do.
I am not only ashamed to show it to someone, I really feel bad not buying an automatic welder etc.

I do not weld often, but if I do, I want it as could as an amateur can have, I am miles away behind my own claim.

but if yours is sealed now, well done! result counts.

and for the engine: whats then plan it shall be ready?

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I'll give all the good credit to the machine bud. That Hobart 210 MVP mig welder has been very impressive so far and money well spent. fwiw, I'm lucky enough to have a little lady with a good job and it was buy the welder or a new/used snow-plow setup. The welder was obviously the cheaper and more effective choice and it's probably close to paying for itself by now, with other repairs I've used it for around the property.

The engine work was minimal (rear main seal, check crank bearings) but the little shop is busy. We'd be looking at late Oct. if I hadn't already had the engine pulled and setup on an engine stand. The kid said he'd slip Dad's work in-between some other jobs for us... as my Dad's been with him since his Dad ran the shop, a few years before he took over.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
I agree on if its sealed, its good. Looks not so much matter if result isn't there. I have seen many nice and pretty tig welds fail at work, you know the ones where you can see all the colors and such in them. So I wouldn't be too worried about what yours may look like. Have to keep doing it to get better. Welding in vehicles is sometimes more of an art then most things too. For future referance I have a LED (like the ones that should hang from ceiling) I shove into places to help see when welding in tight spots with the correct lens shade.

Am glad to hear you are happy with the 210MVP though.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Good tip. I've got a few little LED lights around for just that purpose. One of my favs is the little head lamp but it's not as usable with the goggles. I do need to pickup a lighter shade for them but I think 95% of anything I have to weld will be able to use the auto-shade head gear, so it's not a big deal. As with all things... practice, practice, practice.

Managed to trip and twist my ankle yesterday. Not a big deal but has a serious effect on my mobility, with only one. That'll put me down for the next few day. If it's not one thing... it's something else. Such is life.

Always appreciate the advice and support guys! 🍻

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 · (Edited)
So... we got Dad's engine back on Tuesday. Late Oct. 🙄 Mechani-kid said there was a decent groove in the crank from the leaking gasket. Kid tried to polish it smooth and got it back together. Said he's gotten good seals on worse, so we'll see.
Ran some errands on Wednesday and found my '95 leaking coolant and oil. Checked the coolant lines, they all looked sealed. Seemed to be coming out somewhere under the plenum, so I'll have to pull it to figure this out once I get Dad's '78 out of the shop. '95 is down now until I can finger that one out.

Thursday (yesterday) came and I cranked up the fireplace and warmed the shop up by 10 am. Replaced the smashed brake line against the front axle, then ran a flashlight around the welded exhaust tip. Found a pinhole I missed, right at the bottom of the pipe so I pulled out the welder again and gave it a final zap. Looks like a solid seal now. While I had the welder setup, I closed a few cracks around Dad's spare tire mount. The rear quarter is jacked up from the thing swinging out too hard at some point, as many of us run into now and then. No major body work. Just closed up some rusty rips in the metal that formed over the last few years on some of the creases. Not pretty but should buy the hanger/rear quarter a few more years.

Brake line for '78 swap...

Exhaust Flange R&R....

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Closed some ripped creases on spare carrier mount on the rear quarter...

Finally ready to seat the engine back home, so I called Dad over and we spent the rest of the day fighting to get everything back in place and lined up. Got the engine seated after a few different fights but still didn't get the engine lined up with the trans and finally gave up and called it day around 9:30 pm. First time we got it in... Dad wouldn't listen to me and we ended up seated and lined up but the studs on the torq converter weren't lined up with the fly wheel. Dad was swearing he could just turn the crank and it would slip in but I was sure he was wrong. We tried and the TC was jammed tight against the FW, so the TC just turned with it. Pulled the engine back up, lined the two up properly and tried again. Engine is fully seated in the mounts but seems to be twisted lining up to the tranny. Got one TC bolt through the FW but the dowels won't sit right with the cover plate and slip into the bell housing. Not really sure wtf but I'll come back at it in a this weekend and see what I can manage.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,782 Posts
.. Dad wouldn't listen to me and we ended up seated and lined up but the studs on the harmonic balancer weren't lined up with the fly wheel. Dad was swearing he could just turn the crank and it would slip in but I was sure he was wrong. We tried and the HB was jammed tight against the FW, so the HB just turned with it. Pulled the engine back up, lined the two up properly and tried again. Engine is fully seated in the mounts but seems to be twisted lining up to the tranny. Got one HB bolt through the FW but the dowels won't sit right with the cover plate and slip into the bell housing. Not really sure wtf but I'll come back at it in a this weekend and see what I can manage.
:unsure:
You might want to edit that read "torque converter" :p

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
DAMMIT!!! 🤬 Freakin' pot heads. I don't know why I always get those 2 mixed up.
At least their opposite ends of the same crank. 🙄

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,172 Posts
yea nice stories with Dad‘s
Mine‘s telling me every week as soon as the Bronco is drivable he will take the 350 mile journey and visit me... so I gotta go speeding that up :)

will have to cope with engine and trans line up, not sure yet I want to get it all out (C6 and transfercase, but potentially yes...) at least it will be easier to puzzle it together out of the car.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Hope you're visiting with your old man sooner than later my friend... and it's a good visit, of course. (y)

The weekend didn't work out too well. Low temps got down to 1° and 12° (F), w/5" snow for our "Winter is coming" weekend preview of the months ahead. Needless to say, I waited it out until yesterday. At one point, Dad was ready to give it up and was starting to suggest we pull the FSB out of the shop and take a crack at it again, after I took care of other stuff in the shop. I wasn't having it... 2 failed install attempts taking up the whole day, no sir.
We had to pull the engine back out and get it better aligned on the chains but with another full days working at it, we finally got the engine in and mated up with the trans. Much harder for some reason this time around... but she's home again. Got everything underneath all buttoned up again, except for the exhaust and starter install. Will tackle the rest later today and should have it running again, soon.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,782 Posts
Awesome, congratulations

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Took another day off. What can I say. This sedentary gimp life is makin' me soft. I was sore as hell for some reason. Got back out there this afternoon and made another run at her.

Got the starter in first, then rolled around to get the exhaust sealed up nicely, from what I could tell. Should be a damn good seal after the flange repair. Once the y-pipe was on tight, I welded the rest of the exhaust back up in place. Took care of a few more zaps around the tire carrier while I had it out. I could play with that thing all day long... if I could afford it. ;) Did burn a hole in my carhart though... dammit. Note to self... don't weld directly above.
Spent the rest of the afternoon hooking everything back up. Dad came out to help but I chased him off. He could have helped but I've gotten so used to working by myself... he distracts the hell out of me and I'm not confident enough to handle the distraction. My OCD kicks in and I have to make certain I don't skip, miss or forget anything as it all comes back together.
Ended off the day with a horrible head-ache but got 3 gallons of oil and 4 gallons of coolant poured back in before I called it a day. Now that she's all back together, I'll have Dad come out tomorrow and we'll get the fluids pumped through and topped off. Then we'll have to get her fired over and if all goes well... we'll get the front brakes bled, the power steering bled, bolt the hood back on and take her out to see if she's ready to be put back in service.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Heading out there in a minute to get started. Wondering if anyone has any solid suggestions on shocks for the old '78. Nothing extreme... just basic shocks for un-lifted, dirt pot holes and paved road old beater. Looking for a firm, comfortable ride for the old man, not the jarring, stiff ass, new shock ride. I'll save the extreme stuff for after he passes and I turn that old street beater into a rough and tumble, mountain goat Bronco.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Huh. Slow day, I 'spose. Someone get back to me on that if you can. Thanks.

Well... she's rockin' and rollin'. And yes... just for the record, a Ford 400 engine will start and run with 3 gallons of oil but I don't recommend it. 🙄
For some reason, with a new temp sensor and a repaired sensor line, the temperature gauge doesn't work anymore. Of course, it's the only gauge Pop even pays attention to beside the speedo. Damn stupid little piece put a real damper on an otherwise grand finally. Had a few leaks to be fixed, fluids to drain, fill, bleed, burns to be enjoyed, etc. but all said and done... she sounded really good and came together really well.

Thank you all for the information and support. My 80 yr. old Dad has his beat-up old bitch back and road worthy, just in time for the winter driving season.

On to the next job...

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,782 Posts
3 gallons! :eek: Wanted to make sure you had the crank submerged did you? :p

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Great it's sorted and the truck's running!

3 Gallons are somehow 11,5 liters - so there is lots of room in the engine :)
good you sorted even this, as I would expect shortblock does not really like it.

Whats the next project then?

Sorry for the shocks, if its mostly basic use, I would go with basic ones, but I can not recommend you any make other than Rancho.

241 - 260 of 293 Posts