4,793 Posts
Shocks,
you might consider "Super Lift"
mine give me the ride your describing.
(and good stretch too)

Talk to Blake.
1 800 551-4955
(he is a member here too)

Good read on gettin' pops back in the saddle. (y)
(bronc saddle that is)

Later,
Dragon

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
3 gallons! :eek: Wanted to make sure you had the crank submerged did you? :p
Yep. Had to really test out that rear main seal job. 😜 I was just grabbin' all the fluids I pulled out and set aside and somehow got one of the old jugs mixed in with the most recent ones, I guess.

Great it's sorted and the truck's running!

3 Gallons are somehow 11,5 liters - so there is lots of room in the engine :)
good you sorted even this, as I would expect shortblock does not really like it.

Whats the next project then?

Sorry for the shocks, if its mostly basic use, I would go with basic ones, but I can not recommend you any make other than Rancho.
I'm sure she wouldn't have liked it for long but she ran so smoothly, I''m still a little surprised. Did something similar when I was a kid but the little Chevy Luv pickup I was driving at the time wasn't having it at all and I had to pull over and drain the fluid on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Next project is finding the leaks that sprung up on my '95, out of nowhere, maybe 6k miles or so on my last "rebuild".

Shocks,
you might consider "Super Lift"
mine give me the ride your describing.
(and good stretch too)

Talk to Blake.
1 800 551-4955
(he is a member here too)

Good read on gettin' pops back in the saddle. (y)
(bronc saddle that is)

Later,
Dragon
Appreciate the heads up Dragon. I'll have to give him a ring. (y)

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,141 Posts
Heading out there in a minute to get started. Wondering if anyone has any solid suggestions on shocks for the old '78. Nothing extreme... just basic shocks for un-lifted, dirt pot holes and paved road old beater. Looking for a firm, comfortable ride for the old man, not the jarring, stiff ass, new shock ride. I'll save the extreme stuff for after he passes and I turn that old street beater into a rough and tumble, mountain goat Bronco.
I put Monroes on mine when I got it back on the road. One of the front ones didn't last long, but Advance Auto warranteed it by replacing both front shocks. Didn't trust them so I replaced them with Bilsteins and have been satisfied. Figured they would last a long time.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Well that's a drag to hear. Monroe was one of the old "standard" go to's, so I'll avoid them but the Bilsteins are a little too rich and I think they'd have that "new, stiff" ride that I'd rather avoid.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Well... Dad's Bronco is in a shop now with a friend/mechanic who's familiar and comfortable with old Fords. Ran great for approx. 2k miles and out of nowhere, started backfiring and sputtering like it was running on 7 cyl, instead of 8. Leak-down test showed 1 & 2 pass side cylinders would only hold 30 psi.

Mechanic says either the head job wasn't good enough, I used the wrong head gasket for the job or... worse. Says he can have the heads off and re-worked if necessary, within' a couple weeks. Should run around $1300 total. Considering everyone is short handed right now... that's a pretty decent turn around. Of course, the shop that did the heads the first time is out of business now. No recourse but to either pay up to fix it from someone who actually has a clue or find Dad a new rig and since $1k junk rigs are selling for $2-$3k... figure it's best to fix his Bronco if we can.

I can't overstate my disappointment after all with my wasted efforts. 😖

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,141 Posts
Bummer, but that sounds like a fair price for the work he's going to do - as long as it doesn't go deeper.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Man, that does suck. I hope whichever way you go with it, from this point, works out. I pretty much always have two rigs for this reason. One is almost always out of commission.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,878 Posts
The Nobel committee is sending you this vacuum trophy, because that seriously... well, you know.

Hoping for as simple of an issue as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
When you did leakdown, where was air escaping from?

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
I didn't do the test but he told me it was cylinder to cylinder. No coolant/oil mix, no tailpipe water like last time. Turns out the head bolts somehow managed to back out enough to burn the gaskets out. Since I was re-reading this thread (post #102), where I asked @cobrajoe about that, know I torqued them right but my torque wrench is probably a cheap, Harbor Freight tool... I don't know if it didn't torque right or if the gasket compressed, bolts stretched or wtf? Heads are being re-checked at a different machinist to verify they were done right... but this sounds like an easy fix and a stupid fail.

Good but frustrating news.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
1 step ahead of you there bud. I messaged him an hour ago saying those bolts had been torq'd at least 3 times that I know of and those bolts need to be replaced. He msg'd back... no problem. ;)

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,782 Posts
Sorry to hear, but good call on new fasteners.
In the days before Perma-Torque gaskets, we would re-torque after the engine heat cycled; not sure what you used for gaskets, but most modern ones do not need re-torqueing.
I would also have the heads checked for straightness while they are off to make sure they weren't warped.

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear, but good call on new fasteners.
In the days before Perma-Torque gaskets, we would re-torque after the engine heat cycled; not sure what you used for gaskets, but most modern ones do not need re-torqueing.
I would also have the heads checked for straightness while they are off to make sure they weren't warped.
Pretty sure I used the MEHLE gaskets from the engine "kit" I mentioned so long ago.
That's why the heads went to his shop's go-to machinist to check for any cracks, bad surface, etc. My friend (my lil' ladies, x-sister-in-law and close friends, ol' man) and I get along very well, have much in common (growing up in a biker family, when that meant something), he's got a healthy respect for my old man and he knows he'll be stuck standing behind this job... so he's takin' it seriously.

Weird story: I met one of the local Bandito's who was visiting his Dad when I stopped by one evening years back. We got to talkin' and soon I was gettin' the "size'n you up" interview treatment from the patched outlaw. That outlaw stood up, shook my hand and gave me a bro-hug before I left that night. We'd hang out a lot more but they're pretty serious alcoholics and while we aren't about judgin' anybody... it's not our thing to deal with... anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Well that's a drag to hear. Monroe was one of the old "standard" go to's, so I'll avoid them but the Bilsteins are a little too rich and I think they'd have that "new, stiff" ride that I'd rather avoid.
you may have seen me mention this before, so forgive me for repeating. (and i also see that was 10 months ago) but the biggest thing about bilstein is that they're monotube shocks. that's why they're so great. most cheap shocks are twin tube. but you can get the kyb gas-a-just and i'm pretty sure gabriel also makes a monotube. so you could grab those kyb or gabriel and still get good performance.

I can't overstate my disappointment after all with my wasted efforts. 😖
i haven't been keeping up with the whole story, but i know you've been working on this for some time. and i'll tell ya, man...it's not a wasted effort. it might not have worked out the way you wanted, but that doesn't equate to wasted. we see problems and we give it a shot. sometimes it works. sometimes we have to defer to professionals. but it's never wasted.

Pretty sure I used the MEHLE gaskets from the engine "kit" I mentioned so long ago.
for what it's worth, mahle is a good brand. that doesn't make what you used necessarily free from defects or the right part number or installed correctly. but at least you can feel confident you used good parts. i wouldn't feel so great if it was enginetech or some random off-brand name

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,065 Posts
Of course, the shop that did the heads the first time is out of business now. No recourse but to either pay up to fix it from someone who actually has a clue
Been there with a 79 Camaro. Shop screwed up the heads, and we lost the receipt. Ended up just selling it

• Sad

·
38,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
SHIT!!! He can't find any source for new head bolts for that 400. I've already dug around local and online last year and came up empty handed too. Does anybody reading this have a source for a new set of head bolts for the 400? HELP?

He says he's gonna slap 'em together and will stand behind the job but agrees, he'd rather have fresh bolts... if he could source 'em but he's 2 months out and slipped this job in for me, so he's gotta get it buttoned up ASAP and move on. I've got a surgery tomorrow... so I'll be worthless but he says unless there's a major issue, those heads will be done tonight, so he'll likely have it together shortly after.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
I'm swinging by my local machine shop today and can see what he has access to as far as 400 head bolts goes. I know all sorts of crap has been on back order for months and months in his shop though. I guess it depends on your time frame and price as well. Ya never know, maybe he's got some stock laying around unused.

261 - 280 of 293 Posts