Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I just ran a Duck-go search as you recommended (Google is da debil!). Read through 6 or 7 different forums on them. Sounds like the RTV should be fine, especially as I'm using the OEM intake and not an alum. aftermarket.
Now I'm wondering if I should drill a little drain hole in the "turkey" pan. There was a lot of "coke" oil on the underside of the intake, so something was getting around and splashing up there for awhile. Maybe a little drainage in that pan might help to keep that from happening again.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,857 Posts
Google "OVERTHINK"

·
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Got the intake installed this afternoon. Couldn't get the dizzy to pop loose without fear of messing it up, so I pulled the center-cap to get as much access as I could.

When I first laid the splash pan in place... again I was met with a considerable gap under the pan. Against smarter advice, I pulled it back off and got the rubber end gaskets. Sorry Joe. I'm not sure if you caught it before but as I said, these rubbers gaskets had small dowel plugs that fit into the small holes on the edge lips and a few small overhangs that wrapped the edge. There's no possibility of those rubber end gaskets sliding anywhere, under any circumstance. That considered, I just couldn't see that pan sitting tight and sealing good and proper without 'em. Being as the pan also provided the seal between the intake and the head... I just couldn't let it go. So I let my O.C.D. run with MAHLE's recommendation. I guess we'll see if I end up back here in a few months.

Got it torq'd to 3/4 of recommended ft. lbs. and I'll finish it tomorrow, after the RTV has had time to stiffen up under a little pressure. I was hoping to get onto sandblasting the oem valve covers Dad just won't get over (I'll use the aftermarket ones I painted already for the other 400, I guess) but that will have to wait another week now, till the rainy days pass and the humidity gets better.

Oh well... slowly getting there. Thanks again @cobrajoe Even though I didn't exactly take your advice on that one, I feel I did get a lot better understanding. 🍻

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Tic-Toc........

:p

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,658 Posts
After every advice post @cobrajoe posts I hear one of those "not liable" claims in my head right after reading it. I believe the saying is something like... caveat emptor? Something like that.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I think a more appropriate term would be "Your mileage may vary"

That said, I'm beginning to think I should stop giving advice......
Apparently, nobody wants to listen to a crazy, old man. I feel like the old guy George in Christine that gives Arnie the keys to the car. Nobody listened to his warnings...

·
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Not quite. I'm slow as hell with some of my physical issues and I've been waiting for the temp and humidity to go down enough to sandblast and paint the old valve covers Dad insists on re-using. I'm hoping in the next few days but that's the difference between having a pole barn and a shop here in the Pacific NorthWest.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Waaah.....waaah.......waaaaah sniffle sniffle.

:p

·
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Well... I'll be fair enough to admit, if I didn't have my imprisoned bro's '82 F250 for Dad to drive around, this would have been slapped back together with no "extra" care long ago.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans
234 Posts
at least you have a barn....

i have to do it either outside or in a double garage, barely allowing to open doors when another car is parked next to Bronco.

best is you have a "plan" to finish :)

·
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Well buddy... over the years I've been hangin' around this site, I've worked on my rigs in nearly every less than ideal condition you could ask for. I'm not bitchin' about a pole barn but it is what it is. I'm happy to have a concrete floor and a leaking roof on a drafty barn... as I can still recall many days working in gravel driveways or doing emergency repairs in mud and snow.

I'm not in any big rush though... as I've got my '95 waiting for a lot of other planned work with parts sitting in boxes and the ol' lady's '78 still waiting for a mild resto. Between Dad, my lil' lady and myself... I'll never run out of Bronco work to do around here. I've got plans all right... a list of 'em long enough to follow me too my grave. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
I'll never run out of Bronco work to do around here. I've got plans all right... a list of 'em long enough to follow me too my grave.

·
35,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Glad you found it. (y)

Project still sitting on hold. Waiting for the damn weather to clear up. I swear to God, if I hear the weatherman whine about drought conditions this year, I'll drive down and smack him upside the head. Been raining nearly every other day and humidity just won't go away. Next week is looking good... but if I had a quarter... ;)

121 - 138 of 138 Posts