Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is for broncos, but i wanted yalls opinions as well.

93 F150, 5.0 automatic 4x2. Ok now that we got what it is out of the way. Going down the road, it "hesitates and jumps", when going up a hill it doesnt matter if its to the floor, it wont get over 40. Same thing with going into the wind, it doesnt matter if its to the floor it wont go over 40. On a calm day it still hesitates and stuff, but it will get over 40 as long as its not in the hills. Ford replaced the fan clutch, and was suppose to replace the fuel pressure regulator cause it was a recall. If they did, i dont know. They was also suppose to replace the engine temp. control sensor. The cats have been removed, and the O2 sensor unplugged from the exhaust. When taking off from a stop, It wants to die if u dont give it enough gas. Dad says he hears the valves knocking but i dont hear anything of the sort. Anybody know whats wrong or what we can check next? All suggestions are welcomed. The only other thing i can think of to check is the fuel pump or filter. Ford was suppose to put it on the computer, but they didnt.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
It sounds like a fuel pump problem to me.

arkansawer said:
I know this is for broncos, but i wanted yalls opinions as well.

93 F150, 5.0 automatic 4x2. Ok now that we got what it is out of the way. Going down the road, it "hesitates and jumps", when going up a hill it doesnt matter if its to the floor, it wont get over 40. Same thing with going into the wind, it doesnt matter if its to the floor it wont go over 40. On a calm day it still hesitates and stuff, but it will get over 40 as long as its not in the hills. Ford replaced the fan clutch, and was suppose to replace the fuel pressure regulator cause it was a recall. If they did, i dont know. They was also suppose to replace the engine temp. control sensor. The cats have been removed, and the O2 sensor unplugged from the exhaust. When taking off from a stop, It wants to die if u dont give it enough gas. Dad says he hears the valves knocking but i dont hear anything of the sort. Anybody know whats wrong or what we can check next? All suggestions are welcomed. The only other thing i can think of to check is the fuel pump or filter. Ford was suppose to put it on the computer, but they didnt.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh i forgot to add, it does drink fuel like its free. I think its went down to about 5 mpg. We have replaced the dizzy and plugs and wires as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem, have you checked the throtle position sensor, and it could be taking in to much fuel, how long did ford do the fuel pressure regulator if they even did. Dealerships can be shaddy, have you thought of getting a second opinion. Also have you pulled codes on it. Hope this can help you.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the throttle position sensor and how do i check it? Ford did the regulator tuesday (Dec 30th). They said that the truck has two, one under the hood and the other between the tanks, so i dont know which one they replaced. How can i check and see if its getting to much fuel? Would plugging the O2 sensor back up help this? It doesnt have the cats so i dont know if it would help or hurt it.

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
When it is running check to see if your exhaust is comeing out how it should. I had a friend that had the same problem till we pulled his cat off and used a pipe to hollow it out. :rebelflag

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SuperDave, there isnt any cats .... all new pipe and new muffler, just no cats ... exhaust is flowing great :-D.

Keep the suggestions coming, gonna get out there after the weekend and try all of the suggestions. I gotta work this weekend, so wont be able to test the O2 sensor or anything else until monday. But PLEASE keep them coming.

·
Registered
196 Posts
First and foremost plug the O2 sensor back in.The computer is going to go nuts without a signal from it.Have the temp sensor(the one for the computer)checked.If the sensor is inaccurate the fuel mixture is going to be off.Pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator on the fuel rail and check to see if there is gas in it.If there is the regulator is bad.Also make sure the vacuum line has vacuum when the truck is running.Check the timing,your father might be hearing a ping from the timing being too far advanced.What size is the new pipe.There may be an outside chance the new pipe is too large and with no cats there isn't enough backpressure for it to run properly.Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey buddy you wanna check out fireguy50's site on here, it has all the info on fuel injection and the sensors. It would be a good to go over the sensors like the fuel pressure regulator, tps, and MAP sensor and plug the o2 sensor back in. Good luck :beer

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jayrus, as far as i know, its stock size pipe. It looks stock anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts