Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who drive their Bronco as a Daily driver?

Because i just bought a 1990 EB Bronco and its stock so far but I want to put bigger tires and a lift on it and do some 4 wheelin but it will kill me in gas.what are some good mods that i could do that wouldnt kill my gas if thats possible?

Oh yeah what are some Do's and Dont's for lift kits?

·
Registered
507 Posts
my 96 is my daily driver but that is mostly to school and back, and then some on the weeknd. its not too bad but im starting to look for a second car to commut with.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I drive mine back and forth to work every day. The commute is under 5 miles so it doesn't kill me. 12 mpg isn't the greatest, but it is worth it. I wouldn't mind doing intake/exhaust just to get a little better mileage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lot of daily drivers in here. Mine does a lot of time in the airport parking lot, so the mileage is great :D

Use the search function. Lots and lots of mods discussed here. Some very recent threads about coils / plugs / wires / timing for your BKO will probably help

·
Registered
82 Posts
I drive my 89 every day about 30-40 miles. I get about 6-8MPG. But it beats driving a little econ car and looking up at everyone else.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
my 88 used to be a dd back when it was a 4" lift and 31 M/Ts before it became U-88...now i cant trust it as a DD..plus I dont want to tear up my swampers

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
dozer59044 said:
I drive my 89 every day about 30-40 miles. I get about 6-8MPG. But it beats driving a little econ car and looking up at everyone else.
Dang, what're you doing to get only 8MPG out of a 302/manual? You must be running some serious gear on that beast!

I was knocking down about 15mpg average commuting to work and back last winter, she made a pretty good DD. Of course, right now it's not commuting anywhere but from one garage to another. That was 302/E4OD/3.55's/29's, so we'll see what 33's and losing at least 500lb worth of body will do for her when she's done. :thumbup

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mines my DD. My job is only 3 miles a way so gas isn't a problem.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I use my BKO to get from downtown GR to Allendale, six days a week typically, which is 22 miles, round trip. That journey is half the reason I bought the BKO in the first place; they don't plow the road from Standale to Allendale (nearly half the entire trip).

I don't have a lift kit, and run the factory 31x10.5's. Something about putting a brick through the air at a higher altitude doesn't help mileage....I'll have to check back on that, though.

I think on average I'm using about $60 per week in gasoline, but I'm going to start riding the bus soon just to save wear & tear on my baby. I have to make the long haul across the state soon, so hopefully my new headers & Y-pipe will help me get there with less than half a tank.

BTW, pictures and stuff coming soon on said headers & Y-pipe...soon as it's done. :D

·
Banned
268 Posts
i use mine to get back and forth to work during the week. on weekends we take the wiffs 02 intrepid.

work isnt that far for me either, but i usually flog the crapola out of it so my mileage sucks. still have stock 29's, but getting 31's soon.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
my dad use to use mine as a dd to philly, an hour drive, it didn't fit in the parking garage so that idea kind of left

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
mine is my daily driver. people in honda have a tendancy to move out of the way.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I drive mine 7 miles to school everyday. It gets 8-9 mpg in temps between 0 and 20 degrees with snow every day and the hubs locked. 10-12 in 2wd same weather no snow and 14-15 highway with 33's. I wheel mine every chance I get and sometimes that takes its toll on the DD but I've gotten away with it so far, 6-8 inches of snow on the road is often like wheelin when you cant see where you're going and that happens way too often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Broncs arent friendly at the pumps. Especially if you go hang a decent lift and mount some good meats on there. Heres a tip another FSB brother handed to me a year ago that seemed to work. When you have ur tranny/case/diffs serviced or do it yourself, go back with a good SYNTHETIC grease/tranny fluid. Synthetic is a lot slicker and you can actually pick up 1 or 2 mpg just by spending a few extra bucks. Plus you'll get better longetivity out of the fluid and its easier on your gears etc. My old Brown '89 351 C6 went from around 9 mpg in town to 11 overnight. Thats an extra 60 or so miles a tank so Im convinced.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine is a DD/Highway Mobile. I drive it back and forth from Denver to San Antonio 4 times a year. Doing regular maintence is the most important thing, you have got to keep it in tip top shape for good gas mileage. I also did a catback, K&N FIPK, and I accelerate/brake slowly to get good MPG. Another good mod I would do/did is a cb/pa. It's great for general chit-chat/entertainment and driving around yelling at people on the PA is fun too!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts