Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I finally get my license in 15 days, I have been looking to buy a work truck just for to and from work, Stock, clean, good fuel mileage. A friend of mines dad has a 2003 dodge dakota 2wd 3.9L v6 automatic, With 223,000 kms. 138,000 miles. Runs great, Shifts strong and smooth, Not bad power for a v6, Although im not looking for power. Everything is tight, I can get it for 5000, Maybe 4800. Its got a hard top tonneau cover locking which is perfect for my job, 2 sets of wheels and tires. Gun metal grey or silver.. I can get pics tommorrow. Extended cab short box. Really clean truck.

Anyone know anything about those transmission in that year dodge?

EDIT: This is practically what the truck looks like

http://photos.ebizautos.com/6002/4948630/4948630_1.jpg

Except the one im looking at has the tonneau cover

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
That's too much for a 2wd 3.9 model.

I would highly consider looking into a model with the bigger engine options. My 00 dakota had the 360ci, talk about a f*ckin rocket.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I meantioned I wasnt looking for power, Quite happy with the V6 actually. This truck would be strictly a work truck. Bronco is the speed/ offroad/ just driving truck

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
If that's what you're happy with then sweet. I'm all about power and speed, hence why I don't drive the bronco anymore. :rofl:

I do think that asking price is a bit high though.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, see prices change quite a bit from province to province or country to country. I have been looking around quite a bit for dodges now. Plus its got the tonneau cover which is a huge plus for me. Yeah why do I need to get to work fast? Im self employed, I take my sweet ass time. I hop in the bronco it would out run your powerstroke.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I new I would get shit about this hahaa, Get a 0-60 time. ill slap my 32's back on and get one.
I don't have a Powerstroke. Timmy will have to get one. I just don't see a carbed 460 in a truck with a 4-speed beating an auto Powerstroke. Sorry.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I hop in the bronco it would out run your powerstroke.
Hahaha, remember you posting your 15 second 0-60 in my build thread?

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
i drove a 2000 dodge dakota 2wd with the 3.9 for 2 years till i got hit by a stupid woman on a cell phone that didnt check her blind spot.

over all it was a nice pretty reliable truck. my doorlock motors went out, thermostat and thats it. it sucked on gas i got 19mpg highway record. i normally got 15 city and 17 highway.

over all it was a pretty good truck. i think if it was a little more fuel efficient it would have been a good daily driver but it didnt get much better mileage than a bigger 4wd truck. my buddy had a 2005 fx4 f150 and he got pretty much the same mileage as i did but with much more truck.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha, remember you posting your 15 second 0-60 in my build thread?
Was that with the 460??

Sounds more like the 351m.. I done a bit more to the 460 anyway, I see about 8 seconds. This thing for a bronco is stupid fast now, And thats only in 2wd. Wait till I do a 4wd launch. Remember guys I shift 1 gear to hit 60mph.. 3000rpm clutch dump in 2nd, about 37mph hit 3rd and im upto 72mph... about 5500 rpm.

i thought you were gonna get an F250 or something as a work truck?

have you considered getting a ford ranger?
I was going to get a newer f 250 deisel. But you know what, I wanted a deisel to tow, Right now I dont own a house. 3 years I should be paying a mortgage though, Then I can have all the toys/trucks/ trailers I want. But for now my bronco will be way more then enough to tow, Got the power, got the braking, Just sway, Thats it. Towing heavy load wont see more then 15 highway miles. I have considered ford rangers. But looking at the years, and the cost. I am better off with the dodge.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i drove a 2000 dodge dakota 2wd with the 3.9 for 2 years till i got hit by a stupid woman on a cell phone that didnt check her blind spot.

over all it was a nice pretty reliable truck. my doorlock motors went out, thermostat and thats it. it sucked on gas i got 19mpg highway record. i normally got 15 city and 17 highway.

over all it was a pretty good truck. i think if it was a little more fuel efficient it would have been a good daily driver but it didnt get much better mileage than a bigger 4wd truck. my buddy had a 2005 fx4 f150 and he got pretty much the same mileage as i did but with much more truck.

Thanks for the imput, 2000 is the same tranny as well. Also this truck has no power locks or windows, Which I like, less to go wrong. Anything will be better then my bronco on gas, My brother has an 04 dakota, with the 3.9L, He gets 600 kilometeres to 80 bucks. Which is not bad at all, Well in comparison to my truck right now lol

Since my street bike clutch is slipping in the higher rpms, Leaks a tad bit of oil, Needs front end bearings and brake pads, fearing is not perfect but not bad. I am thinking about trading it and getting 3 grand out of it and give 2 cash. I doubled the bikes km's so it's paid for itself.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
Pretty high priced IMO for a 2 wheel drive V6 unless its in showroom condition.
insurance gave me 6500 for my 2000 last july

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty high priced IMO for a 2 wheel drive V6 unless its in showroom condition.
Honestly, I think about the truck, It is showroom other then one little dent, The body on this thing is almost perfect. Gotta think about that tonneau cover to, Its a grand, Get rid of that im only paying 4. I have been watching craiglist quite a bit, Alot of people think there stuff is worth gold around here, You will find the odd really good deal, But then its not exactly what im looking for. My brothers 04' quad cab 4x4. same engine. stick shift. half the kilometers and he paid 12000.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Anyone know anything about those transmission in that year dodge?
A used Dodge is always in one of 3 states:

A. Needs a new transmission

B. Just got a new transmission

C. Will soon be needing a new transmission

The manuals don't seem too bad, but then they're usually built by NVG.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
A used Dodge is always in one of 3 states:

A. Needs a new transmission

B. Just got a new transmission

C. Will soon be needing a new transmission

The manuals don't seem too bad, but then they're usually built by NVG.
yup :toothless

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'll say this much. I have(had) a 92 Dakota Club cab that my father now drives and has driven for the better part of 15 years. It's the 3.9 Magnum, auto, 2WD and has 187000miles on it. When I first bought that truck new, it was the best combination between power and economy among the options. I got 17-25mpg with it regularly. Keep the service up on it and it should serve you well.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts