1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

now I have to stay at work until someone can make it in:banghead

Winter weather wreaks havoc on the Arklatex
posted: 02-19-2006

Winter precipitation caused traffic havoc in Northwest Louisiana and East Texas tonight. Bossier City police closed all bridges into the city and icy bridge conditions in Caddo Parish were a factor in a fatal traffic accident.

Freezing drizzle iced every bridge and most overpasses in Shreveport and Bossier City and forecasters did not expect conditions to improve until just before daybreak Monday.

Wrecks occurred all over the city -- in so many numbers that some people abandoned their cars because there were no officers available to work the wrecks. In Bossier City, emergency personnel began running out of ambulances because so many people were transported for medical treatment.

Police urged people to stay at home.

to remain in effect until 6 a.m. Monday due to freezing drizzle.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yeah... it's not even that bad here and there have still been something like 500 injury accidents today. People go 80 over icy bridges then 20 on 40mph wet (not icy) residential/commercial streets. People are ****ing retarded.

So now I have to wake up an hour and a half early tomorrow to see if school is closed. If it's not, I have to drive 30 miles of residential streets to try to avoid the idiots on the freeway, who will probably be doing 10mph all the way so they can gawk at all the accidents caused by people gawking at all the accidents! F**K I hate DFW traffic!!!

Oh yeah, and to top it off, I can't drive the Bronco (in which case it wouldn't be a problem because I could drive the median and/or help out in most cases) because the alternator is dead. The same alternator I replaced less than a year ago!

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
You know what sucks is that you guys dont know how to drive. They dont even plow the main roads, state highways, up here and we go on with our lives yet a little ice or 1/2 and inch of snow and 2/3 the rest of the US shuts down. I'm hoping we'll beat last year and break 350 inches of snow

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
oh yea? well the second RAIN hits the ground here, people start sliding all over the place and people begin driving even worse than they usually do. the best part is going into checker or autozone on a rainy day. windshield wipers go bad so fast out here because of all the sun we get, so people flock to the stores because they cant see. :thumbup i just take mine off and keep em in the storage pocket in the back of the bronco till i need em.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well hell, you couldnt drive in it either if it wasnt up to yer ass every year, I think the guy from AZ and the rain example proves that...phuck snow and ice, its a rare and unwelcome thing in the South, you fawkers can keep it and we'll keep wrecking our chit when we get it:toothless ...

·
Registered
401 Posts
When there are bad roads here I am always wary of bridges.

You need to slow down well in advance of the bridge, because bridges are the first thing that will freeze up.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
redwagon said:
at least you still have internet access.
No shit, the lifeline is still up! :)

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
It's been so warm here, I was gonna take my studded tires off the other day. Then the next day, we got 4" of snow. Then yesterday, we got some freezing rain. Went to town for groceries and had to stop twice to scrape the windshield 'cause it was freezing so fast the wipers couldn't keep up...Oh well, :shrug another day in the Ozarks!

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
you should see it out here when there is weather, it is hilarious. hardly anyone is actually from here, they all moved in from Cali or tx and they can't drive in inclement weather for shit. wife and i usually go get a good seat on this hillside and watch everyone bash their stuff to bits. very entertaining.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
ToddACimer said:
I'm hoping we'll beat last year and break 350 inches of snow
That would be sweet if it did, I want to see lots of snow.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Will

SALT

it might eat our vehicles but it keeps us going all through the Winter up here. Maybe it's time Texas joined "the rust belt"

Sixlitre

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
4sd4d said:
When there are bad roads here I am always wary of bridges.

You need to slow down well in advance of the bridge, because bridges are the first thing that will freeze up.
You've obviously never been to Louisianna. Every road down there has at least one, 500 foot bridge along it's path. Going into New Orleans your basically driving across a bridge.

And if you pull off the highway, don't ask what they call a "cajun" for directions, i still don't believe that the words he uttered to me were english.

Ohioans are kind of stupid too, we drive in snow every year, but at the first snow fall, even when it isn't sticking, everyone slows down to 25 on the highway. That's when the i lost my patience.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Will

SALT

it might eat our vehicles but it keeps us going all through the Winter up here. Maybe it's time Texas joined "the rust belt"

Sixlitre
Yeah, there's a good idea. Buy $$$$$$$$ worth of salt and equipment so we can be prepared for the ice we get once every 20 years...

Or people could just NOT freak out...

Either way.

By the way, I was PISSED this morning. I woke up at 6:30 so I could check the news for closings. Three private schools were closed, the college was still open. So I went on my way. Roads were wet (see: NOT icy), bridges with no traffic had LIGHT ice, but all had been sanded at this point, so you could drive on the sand and have no problems. Most people are driving 20! I took back-roads to avoid as many idiots as possible (which worked, I didn't see ANYONE through most of my trip, best drive I've had in a LONG time). I got to campus at 7:30 and went to the cafeteria to try to get some (pre-packaged) food. The grating is closed. I ask the woman setting everything up when they're opening. She says "Campus is closed till 10." ARGH! So I got ahead on my labs... still SUCKS though.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Ubermich said:
Yeah, there's a good idea. Buy $$$$$$$$ worth of salt and equipment so we can be prepared for the ice we get once every 20 years...

Either way.

By the way, I was PISSED this morning. I woke up at 6:30 so I could check the news for closings. Three private schools were closed, the college was still open. So I went on my way. Roads were wet (see: NOT icy), bridges with no traffic had LIGHT ice, but all had been sanded at this point, so you could drive on the sand and have no problems. Most people are driving 20! I took back-roads to avoid as many idiots as possible (which worked, I didn't see ANYONE through most of my trip, best drive I've had in a LONG time). I got to campus at 7:30 and went to the cafeteria to try to get some (pre-packaged) food. The grating is closed. I ask the woman setting everything up when they're opening. She says "Campus is closed till 10." ARGH! So I got ahead on my labs... still SUCKS though.
I hear you. On Saturday, there were overpasses on I-35 that were icy but for the most part it was WET and they were going 15-20. Now, I did slide twice, but I was going maybe 40 or so and was on an overpass. My bad :histerica

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Ubermich said:

Either way.

Just kidding Will about the salt

If anything us Canajians will be joining you-all soon with global warming. This is the mildest Winter for us since they started keeping records.

Ubermich

Man, you got me hankerin' for a college campus breakfast there ! My first diploma allowed me to take advantage of the excellent breakfasts they used to serve there.

The chef school used to do the cooking and it was anything but pre-packaged let me tell you. And cheap !

Somedays I'd be so hungover I'd down one breaky then head right back in for another ! Two full breakfasts and plenty of change back from a five dollar bill ! Back when I was hauling in well over $20.00/hr myself.

They wouldn't allow tips so I'd bring in a case for the chefs each term.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Oh man! That would be awesome! We have illegals reheat... err, I mean "cook" our "meals" (see: MRE)... So I go the safe route and pick up a package of powdered donuts if I have to get food their. Usually I eat at home.

As for global warming, you're full of crap. We had a record cold day in October and THICK ice in late Nov (or early Dec, I forget which). I don't think I've EVER witnessed two icy days in the same winter here besides this year...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
yup it was early december because it was the week before my finals
I can't remember the last time its iced twice in a year, especially like this. It was snowing when I came in from workin on the truck an hour ago

1 - 20 of 21 Posts