Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed the other day a little bit of rust starting to creep out from under the paint. Other than that my truck is rust free. I am not happy about this. Does anyone have any suggestions other than replace the tailgate? Can I open it up and spray it with extend?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No, Nothing I tried works very long. Just save up $ 226.00 and be ready to buy the tailgate. I just did it a few months ago. :D
Normal Bronco problem.

What your seeing now is the beginning of the end. Down inside the tailgate is all rusted out by the time you se it there.

Good luck :thumbup

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I figured as much. I see we both have 94's....sweet. Hey where did you get that windshield visor? I have been looking for one with no luck so far?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nevermind I just found it. lund moonvisor. sweet

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no pics yet. I was inspired by someone elses project that I saw on here. I did it a little different. I used 3/4 plywood and covered it with foam and a pleather material. The whole thing cost me 55 dollars. I goes from the dash all the way to where the back of the stock console is. I needed a place to put my dvd/mp3 deck because the stock radio slot in the dash now has an lcd screen that pops out of the slot. I will try to get some pictures up of it when I find a digi camera to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the subject of tailgate rust....

When I replaced the gate on my '92 I had the guys at Rhino Linings spray down the inside of the gate.as well as the interior surface and the bottom half of the exterior skin. Thye made certain to fill in that crevice between the outer skin and the inner sheet metal along the bottom of the gate where the two pieces of sheet metal are folded and welded together. The crevice creates a natural "gutter" for moisture to gather and the drain holes are lower than the edge of the crevice. If you look closely at many tailgates, they tend to rust just above the lower edge of the gate right where dirt and water will gather inside in this crevice. The solution is a no brainer and many may already know this but, fill in the crevice so that moistrue will run straight to the drain holes and the likelihood of another tailgate rusting at that point is slim to never. The Rhino Linings guys took the spray nozzle off the gun and filled it so well that when running your finger along the crevice, it feels smooth and there is no depression between the outer skin and the drain holes at all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions other than replace the tailgate?
Cut the rust out, and weld a patch in.
They even make lower tailgate patch panels if you don't want to fab up anything yourself.

Then after it's welded in rusttproof the shit out of it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
see when my dad bought this truck he first took off that inside panal and poured oil down there. and we do it every few years. and no rust and it is a year around daily driver here in michigan.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. I appreciate the input. For those of you interested, I will be putting together my photo enhanced "poor mans custom console" thread soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ledee416 said:
I just noticed the other day a little bit of rust starting to creep out from under the paint. Other than that my truck is rust free. I am not happy about this. Does anyone have any suggestions other than replace the tailgate? Can I open it up and spray it with extend?
There are three things in life you can be sure of..........................

1.)Death:eek: :angel

2.)Taxes:mad:

3.)Bronco Tailgate Rust:cry

soooooooooooooooooooooooo......................................

:beer
:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
What and embarass my daughters again.

My girls wouldn't even ride in my old 77 Ranger because of the running lights on the cab. Said it looked like a redneck truck. Now after they moved out I found out it wasn't the truck that looked redneck it was me!! An ya know their right and I'm da*n proud of it.:lolup

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have lots of money and really hate rust then Click here
wow very cool link man. 750 is kind of steep though. Plus I use m,y truck for surfing a lot and sit on the tailgate. Definitely a great mod for an offroad truck though...thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm working on my bronco to get it to pass inspection. I dont know how long the Bronco is going to last, so Im not ready to put real work into fixing the rust.

Instead, I bought a roll of replacement black plastic/chrome trim for it. When I replace the trim that was starting to peel off of the side of the truck, I will also run a peice of it across the bottom of the tailgate. I have held it up, and it looks like it could have been stock.

(This is only after covering it with rust converter to try and slow down the cancer)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts