Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered my engine has started to knock!:mad: :mad: :banghead. I dont have the money to rebuild this engine. I do have an Idea though, my bronco II has a 302 in it(partly rebuilt), and it isn't done with the engine swap anyways. Will the engine from a 84 thunderbird(which is in the bronco II) work in my truck? I would be bolting all the EFI stuff onto the engine from the bronco II since its carbed.

I have added a cam to that engine, heres the specs
It has the normal 302 firing order

Duration____________Lift_______________Lobe
Intake-Exhaust------Intake-Exhaust-------Seperation
204*__214*______.448"__.472"______112*

Will this cam work with the speed density EFI stuff?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IT IS REAL!!! HAHAHAHA

I just found out the cam should work, found fireguy's post about cams and EFI.

Also is there any difference between the heads of '84 and a '86? Or is it '87 when they went to a better flowing one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only thing that I see about the cam that would not work with SD without some tuning is the Lobe Separation. If you're willing to dig in and tune the box you could make it work, but if you're looking to just plug and play I would stick with 114 degrees or more. SD needs a good vac signal to function properly, if you get it beyond that you will end up having to work with the computer to compensate for it.
I've heard of some saying that their buddy runs a cam with less that 114 degrees with SD right out of the box with no problems. I've never met these people or their cars, and have yet to see one come in my shop. So until I do see and hear one for my own eyes... they remain an urban myth.
You can do it, but I would expect it would have to be tuned (chip, aftermarket box, tweecer....) to make it run well.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts