Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions on a set of knuckles for a 79 150 dana 44 for a sas build should i cough the cash for new or JY them

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
given the option and the money id go with a set from reider racing. you can have them setup for either high or regular steer, over or under knuckle steering etc. otherwise if money is an issue get them from a junkyard. if you're not running huge tires and high horsepower your chances of breaking them aren't very high.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Suggestions on a set of knuckles for a 79 150 dana 44 for a sas build should i cough the cash for new or JY them
What would you have to pay for them new? Are you staying with 5 lug or going to eight?

I am going to guess that you can buy a complete hub to hub unit front end used cheaper than you would have to pay for the knuckles new.

I never have looked for the 8 lug variety but the 78/79 5 lugs are still pretty easily found hub to hub in 200.00-250.00 range complete.

·
Registered
391 Posts
well, not exactly the same. the 5 lug has a "notch" built in to clear the caliper for the smaller rotors. you can easily use 5 lug knuckles on an 8 lug but can run into clearance issues with 8 lug knuckles on a 5 lug setup.

like asked above, would the question be for 5 or 8 lug?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
next question should i replace or keep/clean

i am planing on changing the gears in the rear to 4.56 if you can tell i have very little experience when it comes to this but i learn quick

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
if youre going to run 4.56s you will need to replace that. assuming its stock. new carrier, and the gears. locker if you want also. but if you are staying with stock gears for now, clean it cause it looks fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so if i want to change gears i have to replace the carrier with a 3.92 and up or a 3.73 and down?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thought so was sure if the higher the number the lower the gearing or if it was the other way around

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
next question should i replace or keep/clean

i am planing on changing the gears in the rear to 4.56 if you can tell i have very little experience when it comes to this but i learn quick
I see a lot of evidence of water in the carrier. Looks like crap to me. I say full rebuild with new US bearings and seals, possibly a new carrier.

If you are going to 4.56 gears anyways, it is time to replace everything IMO.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that about what i came up with but good new my wife has been squirreling away money for truck Mods/parts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can i use the ttb steering knuckles cause i am having a hell of a time finding the caliper bracket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts