Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an e-z locker for the front of the bronco and the darn thing seems to unlock and it makes a loud clicking noise I'm wondering if any one has had this problem before. the first time I had it out it worked fine and this is only the 2nd time I have used it, any help would be great thanks
PS,the shim were installed as per manufacturer's instruction i also removed the front cover today and every thing looks fine the bronco had more traction with the open front dif then the locker it seemed odd

·
Registered
157 Posts
EZ lockers are the MEGA SUCK. Sell it and get a aussie or a lock rite. Even the lock rites are not that great but way better than the ezlockers.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
I wouldn't, LSD's don't replace lockers.
but some LSD's work better. my dad had a ez-locker, lasted half an hour, exchanged it for a ture trac, he loves it. its all gear to gear and if just one of the front tires is spinnin just hit the brakes s bit and they both go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im talking to the company I bought it from and were trying to work somthing out, the guy is a wheeler and thinks the springs are wrong but I was leaning maybe to a full detroit locker has any one had any problems with these it not a problem because Im replacing my gears in a month to 4.88 any more info would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
My own experience is that automatic lockers in front is not a good thing. They resist turning of the vehicle, causing the front to 'push'. I run a shimmed Ford LS in the '78 right now, but an ARB in my '69 EB. The '78 is getting an ARB when the D60 goes in to it here shortly. The True Trac is arguably one of the best LS difs out there and I like them..but is about the same cost as an ARB. I put a True Trac in the back of my son's '76 EB so it would ahve good street manners (and and ARB in the front).

Note also that the Detroit lockers are well known for grenading when an axle snaps....in fact, that seems to be about the only common failure mode they have..but its common enough that you see reports of it on all the offroad forums.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah Bill but this fellow is discussing a front.

Just about nobody is gonna suggest a Detroit locker for a front axle.

ARB about the same money as a truetrac? I don't think so.

I think one is about $400 & the other about $800.

Still prefer the truetrac for the front.

For $800 you can choose Detroit e locker, ARB or Ox. The ARB would be my last choice between those 3. The other 2 are about a dead heat.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
i have a detroit locker in the front of my pickup...they changed the design of the detroit locker. from what the papers that came with mine said. they are quieter and mine didn't break last weekend when i broke a shaft in the front of my pickup...so maybe they fixed that problem....

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yeah Bill but this fellow is discussing a front.

Just about nobody is gonna suggest a Detroit locker for a front axle.

ARB about the same money as a truetrac? I don't think so.

I think one is about $400 & the other about $800.

Still prefer the truetrac for the front.

For $800 you can choose Detroit e locker, ARB or Ox. The ARB would be my last choise between those 3. The other 2 are about a dead heat.
And my first is the ARB hands down. But to each his own. After wheeling about every option including spools and Lincoln-lockers fer 30 years..the ARB ended up king of my hill after all the dust..er..mud had settled.

And I know we are talking the front..and specifically front lockers. I know I'm old..but I'm wearing my spectacles for a change..:goodfinge

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Your buddies run OX lockers?
A couple, yes, and they like 'em just as much as I like my ARBs. Good stuff apparently..nothing bad I know about them. They fell out of favor for a while simply due to their 'here agin, gone again' company issues a while back..which I guess has sorted itself out. They are not cheap either..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Right & none of that air compressor/ air hose nonsense to fool with either.

But I bow down to your superior wisdom.

:thumbup

:drinkbud

:duel

:notworthy

:twotu:

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Right & none of that air compressor/ air hose nonsense to fool with either.

But I bow down to your superior wisdom.
I wouldn't put one above the toher when it comes to an Ox versus an ARb. That said, the air hose is never a problem..certainly no more so than a cable...and I have on-board air. anyways.:toothless

Your puny weapons are no match for my inferior intelligence.

·
Registered
533 Posts
arbs work for some. a d44 with 39.5x15x15 tsl super swampers? here is somthing. i run an e-locker in my front d44. nothing like steering and a coner with arbs. i run detroit a locker in the 9" rear end, and a e-locker front. i drive my monster down the road, and the mud just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts