Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, sorry for the newbie stupid question of the week. I have some experience with Mustang 8.8's but zero with a Dana 44. I have a '79 FSB with a 400 ci, 3 speed auto and Dana 44 front axle. This truck is strickly used for snowplowing my personal property and is no longer street and inspection worthy. I'm curious to know if the Dana 44 came in both a standard/open version and limited slip? If I get stuck in a snow bank, I only get drive power on the right rear (obviously indicating that I have a standard non-LS 9" rear) and the left front. So I'm not sure if I simply have a standard Dana 44 or perhaps another problem, like a worn out right front hub. Without climbing under and looking for the ID tag, can I test the front axle like I would a rear by jacking it up and manually spinning the wheel? Does this test work the same for the front regardless if I have a worn out hub? Thanks in advance. Steve

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
That's an open dif. Fronts work the same as rears, the wheel with the least resistance gets the power. If a front hub wasn't engaging (locking the tire to the axle shaft) you'd have ZERO front wheelspin.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
That's an open dif. Fronts work the same as rears, the wheel with the least resistance gets the power. If a front hub wasn't engaging (locking the tire to the axle shaft) you'd have ZERO front wheelspin.
That. Though If you really wanted to you can test it. Put the front on jackstands and try to rotate one of the tires. If the opposite tire rotates in the opposite direction its an open diff. If it rotates in the same direction its limited slip. On the front though it's probably an open diff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'm certainly going to test it by rotating one side, just wasn't sure if my test results would be accurate if in fact I had a worn out right hub. If I do have an open front differential then I guess it's off to plan B. A set of tire chains, in hopes that keeps me out of trouble. Thanks guys. Steve

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
look at the axle code on the door sticker. if it has a number with no letters (19) it means both are open. if its a letter and a number (H9) then its limited ear open front. if its 2 letters then a number you have limited slip both front and rear. but very few vehicles came both with limited slip. ive only seen like 2 in the junkyard and managed to get a diff from one to have around just incase

they wouldn't put limited slip in front without in the rear. but the rear can have it and just be worn out to where it feel like a open. Trac-loc clutches are only really good for 40k miles.

to test for limited slip in the front (assuming lockouts work perfectly), you can lock one hub and leave the other unlocked and transfercase in 2wd. then spin the driveshaft by hand. if you cant spin the driveshaft it would be limited slip. but you have to make sure both hubs unlock and locker properly

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,062 Posts
I agree with the above, though it might not be good for plowing depends on how tight an area you have to plow in. I would also consider a mini spool for the rear if you find you have an open diff. I only suggest maybe considering this as you say its only for plowing, a locker would be the way to go upfront if you were driving it more then that. With it welded or spooled up front you could use only 1 lockout and it would still turn fairly well, then if it gets stuck lock the other one in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys, Thanks for the additional information and input. Appreciate it! Of course, I should of been checking this a few months back when it was still sunny and warm, not now with 3 feet of snow on the ground. :banghead. Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
look at the axle code on the door sticker. if it has a number with no letters (19) it means both are open. if its a letter and a number (H9) then its limited ear open front. if its 2 letters then a number you have limited slip both front and rear. but very few vehicles came both with limited slip. ive only seen like 2 in the junkyard and managed to get a diff from one to have around just incase

they wouldn't put limited slip in front without in the rear. but the rear can have it and just be worn out to where it feel like a open. Trac-loc clutches are only really good for 40k miles.

to test for limited slip in the front (assuming lockouts work perfectly), you can lock one hub and leave the other unlocked and transfercase in 2wd. then spin the driveshaft by hand. if you cant spin the driveshaft it would be limited slip. but you have to make sure both hubs unlock and locker properly
Hi Kingfish999, so the tag shows a 16 on the axle code, guess that would explain the open front and rear. Looked for axle tags on both but didn't see any, probably long rotted off. Thanks again, Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts