Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replacing the seals in my DANA 44 Front Axle. I am trying to make sure I have all the seals. The tech manual exploded view is a good reference but I am not seeing all the part numbers.

(1) DANA 40773 Front Right Inner (Is this passenger side where the shaft goes into the housing?)
(1) DANA 40710 Front Left Inner (Is this driver side where the shaft goes into the housing?)
(2) TIMKEN 4250 Wheel Seal (Seal that is behind the bearing in the rotor)
(2) TIMKEN SB4 (Has the seal 1175 that is behind the spindle, right next to the spindle bearing)
(1) TIMKEN 5778 (The seal where the front drive shaft meets the housing)

I feel like I am still missing a seal the exploded DANA 44 diagram shows a seal on the shaft assemble driver side, on the outer shaft where the U-joint meets the shaft that goes into the housing. Truck Shop Manual Vol A 1 of 2, pg 15-34-2 (628)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should be more specific in that I am asking the question are these the correct seals and am I missing any? I am double checking I have everything correct before I make the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
I have my Dana 44 pulled apart and sitting on my work bench. :D

Yes, you're missing one seal on the passenger's side.

Seal #40773

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I need (2) Seal# 40773 not just one? And do still need (1) DANA 40710 for the driver side, it was labeled as left inner?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I replacing the seals in my DANA 44 Front Axle. I am trying to make sure I have all the seals. The tech manual exploded view is a good reference but I am not seeing all the part numbers.

(1) DANA 40773 Front Right Inner (Is this passenger side where the shaft goes into the housing?)
(1) DANA 40710 Front Left Inner (Is this driver side where the shaft goes into the housing?)
(2) TIMKEN 4250 Wheel Seal (Seal that is behind the bearing in the rotor)
(2) TIMKEN SB4 (Has the seal 1175 that is behind the spindle, right next to the spindle bearing)
(1) TIMKEN 5778 (The seal where the front drive shaft meets the housing)

I feel like I am still missing a seal the exploded DANA 44 diagram shows a seal on the shaft assemble driver side, on the outer shaft where the U-joint meets the shaft that goes into the housing. Truck Shop Manual Vol A 1 of 2, pg 15-34-2 (628)
Isn’t your last paragraph referring to the spindle bearing seals? On my rig, they sit on the outboard shaft just outboard of the u-joint.

I think AB has his links sideways, referencing a DS seal but linking the PS. The drivers side seal has that big mouth to pilot the axle shaft into the carrier.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Both seals are 100% different and non-interchangeable. So you need one of each.

And thanks for the correction, yes that's the passenger side seal. :D

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Packagerjr, the seal I was referencing is the DANA 40710. The diagram did not do a good job depicting that it goes to the driver side of the housing. It looked like it was up near the drives side U-joint where the spindle bearing seal would be. So my original list should be good?

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
I don't know how I missed that you already had the Dana 40773 in your list. Brain fart.

Yes, there is a seal on the left, a seal on the right, and the pinion seal. That's it for the housing.

Then the two wheel seals and spindle seals.

Looks good to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
I was thinking the same, but you shouldn't have to remove it just to replace the seals.
Then again, once you get that far in, you're only 12 bolts away from having it out and in hand.

Oh, I'd also suggest being sure to bust the pinion nut free while it's still in the vehicle and the axles attached. Lock the front hubs. It'll give you a lot more resistance so it doesn't just spin. Same for when you torque it back down.

It's also suggested to replace the pinion nut whenever you remove it.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well to late already headed to the service station to put it in a vice.

Wish I knew about the pinion nut earlier, already torqueing her down.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done let it fool you, I spent 20 minutes with a wire brush cleaning off crap. Combination of a leaking power steering pump and gear oil. Seal looked decent but it had a lot of crude build up along the top and around the seals. So I think they were leaking some. Checked the U-joints driver side moved decent for 30 years old. Passenger side, uh yeah could barely get it to one axis to move on the u-joint. The seal of the housing unit to support arm looked great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts