Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to pull my Dana 44 front differential this weekend. I suspect that one or more of the bearings are going ( I have a noise when in 4 wheel drive). Im not sure what would be easier, do a complete overhaul or buy a remanufactured one. The guy I do buisness with at the local tranny shop said he can get me a reconditioned unit ( I think its the diff. & the axels) for $525. Im just afraid if I start to replace parts it might cost more the a remanufactured one. Does anybody know where I could get one? Is $525 a good price? What do you guys think?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I blew up my D44 and got a used one for $50 swapped it in in about 6 hours in temps around 15 degrees. Job isnt too bad. the time included removing "new" diff off the parts then removing mine and then putting the "new" one back in.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
stangmata50l said:
You could swap chunk for chunk in under 3 hours without a problem....
Yup.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know its not my hubs. I get the noise when the hubs are'nt locked and the truck is in 4 wheel drive.
Not the transfere case--- Just rebuilt 2 weeks ago (Had noise before rebuild)
Not the drive shaft--- Had new joints and balanced today
New wheel bearings
Im running out of things to fix that could be causing the noise.
ANY IDEAS?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Spindle bearings?

·
Registered
445 Posts
has neone looked at JBG at the front end rebuild kit? it includes rotors, new warn hubs, u joints, seals, bearings, all for 660...i am gonna get it for my 44 that i am puttin on my 2wd 150.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
stangmata50l said:
You could swap chunk for chunk in under 3 hours without a problem....
3 hours? 3 hours? My god man! Buy some air tools.

ToddACimer said:
Spindle bearings?
If they are locked up, not lubbed/semi rusty, or just plain gone they can (maybe) make a grinding noise if your in 4WD with out the hubbs locked.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is my hubs wouldnt I get the noise all the time? I took the drive shaft out and drove around with the hubs locked. No noise. It has to be something in the diff. that gets worse (louder) when the drive shft is in. Everything is new up front including the hubs (1 yr. old), except the diff. & the axel joints.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Cheapest way to check is to pull the chunk yourself and check for excessive
play in the ring and pinion. Since you got the drive shaft out, pull back and forth and in and out on the pinion yoke for a lot of play before you take it out.

I am sure you could go to almost any junk yard and get a chunk with matching gears for under $200.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
ffmike said:
If it is my hubs wouldnt I get the noise all the time? I took the drive shaft out and drove around with the hubs locked. No noise. It has to be something in the diff. that gets worse (louder) when the drive shft is in. Everything is new up front including the hubs (1 yr. old), except the diff. & the axel joints.
If you are driving with the hubs locked in and no driveshaft hooked up, EVERYHTING in the axle is still spinging including all the parts in the Diff. To me it sounds like there is a prob with the D-shaft if it went away when removed. Wiggle the driveshaft where it slides in and out of itself, they can go bad there and cause vibration/noise.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
85f150 said:
If you are driving with the hubs locked in and no driveshaft hooked up, EVERYHTING in the axle is still spinging including all the parts in the Diff. To me it sounds like there is a prob with the D-shaft if it went away when removed. Wiggle the driveshaft where it slides in and out of itself, they can go bad there and cause vibration/noise.

I think he's on to something

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some diagnoses today. I put the bronco up on 4 jack stands and ran it. Both in 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. There is NO noise coming from the front at all. The noise is coming from the rear of the T-case. I then lowered the front and ran it again (with hubs unlocked) switching from 4 wheel to two wheel drive. The noise is deffinatly coming from the rear of the T-case.

I just had the T-case overhauled 2 weeks a go (the noise was there prior). The guy that did the overhaul replaced all bearings and seals. He also said all the gears looked good. Is there something that he could of overlooked? The Bronco is going back to the shop on Monday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts