Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting ready to put my Right Shaft (passenger side)back in to the stub shaft (the one that has the dust boot on it). Well the manual said it could only go on one way.
The pub says:
" Since the splines on the shaft are phased, there is only one way to assemble the right shaft and joint assembly into the slip yoke. Align the missing spline in the slip yoke barrel with the gapless male spline on the shaft and joint assembly"
Well I found the missing spline in the slip yoke. Its at the 9 o'clock position.

But my Right hand shaft does not have a gapless spline to line up.

As you can barely see no gapless male spline. I did not mark the ends (like with a drive shaft) because I thought I would have the splines to help me. Well I don't, so what in the world do I do now?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,400 Posts
Honestly, I’m guessing it probably won’t matter much unless you run 4x4 at higher speeds. For me, I barely run 4x4 over maybe 30 or 40, tops.

Don’t take my word for it though. I’m just thinking practically, but not from experience on this. I’ll let someone else not experienced with these axle shafts post up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think mine was the same way. I had marked them before disassembly. In your case, just make sure the u joints are in phase and I would call it a day. Like the Warden said, you won’t be hauling booty in 4wd.

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does in phase mean?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it so the if the shafts ears are a the 12 and 6 o'clock make sure the years of the slip yoke barrel are at 12 and 6 o'clock as well?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense, thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,788 Posts
What does in phase mean?
It means that if two different parts of the driveshaft have different vibrations or "frequencies" that they cancel each other out when they're lined up.

As the others have said, with the fronts I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I honestly didn't even know this was a thing. So it probably DOES explain the vibration I get when my front hubs are locked and I'm at freeway speeds. (I usually leave the hubs locked all winter due to intermittent snow). It was very minor, but I noticed a small oscillating vibration around 70 or so. I knew it was the front end as it was only when the front was spinning, but it was so minor I didn't really care or look into it much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts