Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just changing the oil and in my bronco today and was curious about my front differential oil, when i had to replace axles on my rear end i remeber the oil was almost like penut butter, and when i took off the drain plug and stuck my finger in the housing it looked just like i thought it was going to look- penut butte, so i guess my question is what is the best way to drain the front differential so hopefully i dont have to do a straight axle conversion :histerica

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
assuming you have a ttb front end, you can remove the bolts from the front 3rd member, leaving the top bolts in, but loosen them, so you can tip out the 3rd member

I dunno :shrug I've never owned a ttb, but it made sense to me

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
reptillikus said:
drill a hole in the bottom, and then tap it and install a plug in it when youre ready to refill it.
Haha, hey RepT, what's shakin???

pardon me man, but you've got quite a nipple there! :shocked

they do make a flush fit plug, so no chance of catching on anything.

crap, knew this would happen sooner or later. I could post of pic of a flush plug, but don't know how...doah :brownbag

well, no biggy, it's out on my Sford site, front D44 drain plug. Is that a lazy out or what?

I would STRONGLY suggest doing this, very easy if you are careful. WAY easier than unbolting the center diff. You need a decent drill, bit, and tap and plug. I used a flush fit 3/8" plug as I recall, so then you just need the appropriate tap/die for it. Be careful when you get close to being through, as the ring gear sits close to the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unless im missing something, Crazed, the only drain plug is in the front right smack dab in the middle and i guess if i wanted to drain it using that i could hang the back of my bronco from the local bridge and let it drain.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
thejuice said:
crap, knew this would happen sooner or later. I could post of pic of a flush plug, but don't know how...doah :brownbag

well, no biggy, it's out on my Sford site, front D44 drain plug. Is that a lazy out or what?
hey, lookey at that, I just thought about the pic I wanted, and it magically appeared. This site is cool. :toothless

EDIT, OK, I did find 4xPepe's post on how to paste an Sford pic, way simpler than other sites. so, whomever actually obliged on the magical effort, tanx, and I promise I will not lame out next time.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
dude, in the last thread about this topic, i posted that at the local Harbor Freight store, there was a big hand operated suction thing that looked like a pecker pump...from what i have heard at least, thats not my bag baby. but that would be great for sucking...out the oil from the diff without having to crack the cover. that drain plug is cool. might have to try that in both D60s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts