Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when ordering install kits for D44, i keep seeing different part numbers for 92 and older and then 93 and newer. what is the actual differences in these? i assumed it was something with the oil slingers and shims. but i never really knew and i dont see any info about it. alot of brands have different install kits for each.

i ordered a Revolution install kit 35-2033IFS-B. it came with the wrong inner pinion bearing/race. the race is 2.85" OD when 3" is what i need. the cone fit fine on the pinion and is already pressed on. ill have to remove it now to ge tthe right one on. is the difference between the years the inner pinion bearing size? when i look up the pinion bearings, it showed the same 3" size for 80-96

·
Registered
791 Posts
i ordered a Revolution install kit 35-2033IFS-B. it came with the wrong inner pinion bearing/race. the race is 2.85" OD when 3" is what i need. the cone fit fine on the pinion and is already pressed on. ill have to remove it now to ge tthe right one on. is the difference between the years the inner pinion bearing size? when i look up the pinion bearings, it showed the same 3" size for 80-96
Which of your Bronco years did you order this kit for, that it didn't fit?
I'm about to pull the trigger on it for my '94 Bronco with E40D and original Dana 44 that I'm putting a Yukon locker into and new 4.11 or 4.56 gears.

Are you happy with the kit?
It seems to have everything needed for a diff rebuilt at a good price.

The webpage for the kit says 1992.5-96, so hopefully I'm good to go for my '94.

·
Man of endless projects
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used the Revolution kit on two D44 i rebuilt. both times i recall having very few shim selection on the kit. compared to every other axle i rebuilt i usually have a decent set of shims to choose from. that was my biggest gripe about the kit. i apparently used a D44 third member from my friends 90 bronco while using a kit for the 93+ D44. they must have changed the pinion bearing size

in the end i liked it came with Timken bearings. but idk if i could recommend it because of such poor shim selection. next time i would probably spring for the USA Standard kit (ZK D44-IFS-L) which comes with Koyo bearings which are lesser known but very good. the Yukon kit is more expensive but with Timken bearings (YK D44-IFS-L). note that USA Standard is considered the budget version of Yukon. i have not used either kit to know how they are.

the reason i used the Revolution kit is because thats what JBG sells. and JBG has a significantly lower price on most install kits than anywhere i have found. they are currently sold out but try and find that Revolution kit cheaper than $124. the average price seems to be $180 for the same kit.

if you plan on going 4.10 gears, you can probably find some new OEM Dana Spicer gears since it was a factory option and be the best quality. i think # is 24649-5X. the reason i use Dana SVL which is thier aftermarket series is because the Dana crate axles all come with Dana SVL so they must be something half decent. also they are cheap and most people say thats not because of quality but because they dont advertise

do you plan on installing them yourself?

·
Registered
791 Posts
i apparently used a D44 third member from my friends 90 bronco while using a kit for the 93+ D44. they must have changed the pinion bearing size
Ahh, I can see how that would cause confusion. Thanks!

in the end i liked it came with Timken bearings. but idk if i could recommend it because of such poor shim selection. next time i would probably spring for the USA Standard kit (ZK D44-IFS-L) which comes with Koyo bearings which are lesser known but very good. the Yukon kit is more expensive but with Timken bearings (YK D44-IFS-L). note that USA Standard is considered the budget version of Yukon. i have not used either kit to know how they are.
I imagine shims can't cost much money. I might be willing to chance it since the kit is half the price of the Yukon kit.

if you plan on going 4.10 gears, you can probably find some new OEM Dana Spicer gears since it was a factory option and be the best quality. i think # is 24649-5X. the reason i use Dana SVL which is thier aftermarket series is because the Dana crate axles all come with Dana SVL so they must be something half decent. also they are cheap and most people say thats not because of quality but because they dont advertise
Those are 4.09 gears. Wouldn't we be using 4.10 front to match up with 4.11 rear?
I was actually looking at the Revolution 4.10 which is about $60-$100 cheaper than the Dana gear, depending on where you source it. I found it for $166 from a well known reseller.

do you plan on installing them yourself?
Yep, I'll be installing a Yukon zip lock and going from 3.55 to 4.10.
It'll be my first time doing any of this and I've been reading up on it and watching a lot of videos.
The install will be done off the truck.

·
Man of endless projects
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as long as the ratios are close enough you dont see any difference between them 4.09, 4.10, 4.11. but the quality of OEM Dana Spicer is going to be hard to beat. you can probably even use the factory shims and be almost dead on. its like using Ford Racing gears in the rear

make sure you get 'setup bearings' or at least buy a set of carrier bearings and grind the insides out till they slip on and off the carrier. some people use old bearings but that can skew the measurements. its a pain to grind the inside so it might be worth the cost of buying them already done.

you will need something to hold the yoke as you do the pinion nut. dont use an impact. as a plumber i have big pipe wrenches avalible to me that work great. you will need to press the bearings, a shop can probably do it for you. on a D44 you can have the inner pinion bearing pressed right away with the oil slinger on, the carrier bearings will be pressed once you are happy with the pattern. on a 8.8" you will have the carrier bearings pressed first, the 'setup bearing' will be the inner pinion bearing and will be pressed last once you get the pattern good. then of course good pair of calipers, magnetic base dial indicator, race drivers, ft-lb torque wrench and a in-lb torque wrench

note that theres alot of youtube videos out there that show doing it the wrong way. or dont show important steps to adjsuting the pattern. or skip fine details. you might read through the comments and you will see people commenting on what they did or didnt do

·
Registered
791 Posts
The Yukon kit is more expensive but with Timken bearings (YK D44-IFS-L).
Just a note on this.
The Yukon YK D44-IFS-L installation kit comes with three Timken and two Koyo bearings.
It's not 100% Timken.
Here are pics of the kit as I received it from Summit Racing last week.

In this pic below, the bearing that should be at the top right of the packaging was removed and is actually sitting on top of the bearing in the packaging directly below it. Didn't think about it when I took the pic.

The carrier bearings are the same Timken race and bearing part #'s as what I found in my 200k mile '94 Dana 44 IFS. Which AFAIK, had all original parts in it?
Timken 25523 race and 25590 bearing.
And both new and old races measured exactly the same OD on my digital caliper.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just noticed my inner pinion bearing doesn't have a massive slinger like what came in the Yukon pic.

That would be item "K" in this exploded pic below that I found in a manual somewhere.

Should I re-use my smaller/thicker stock slinger or go with the huge (but thin) slinger from the Yukon kit that looks like "K" above?

Reactions: cobrajoe
1 - 9 of 9 Posts