Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes...started my sas about two weeks ago...after countless searching and reading of threads..

started with...
1. Dana 44 out of a 1978 F150 super cab (snow fighter?)
1. yukon chrome moly outer axles...
2. spicer 760 u joints...(sent out to be cryo frozen)
3. custom inner chrome moly shafts...
4. try to reuse existing shocks...
5. reusing outers from ttb...
6. outer knuckles for d44 (purchased from a fellow fsber) already fabbed up for high steer arm...
7. using seamless dom 1.5 by .120 wall for steering and draglink...with chevy tie rod ends.

few pics to follow...
donor axle...d44 hd ....

axle housing stripped down and ready to attach new leaf perches

and of course the ttb salute...:rockon

front cross member.

rear spring mounts.

and where it stands today...

so thats where I am at at the moment

questions or comments would be greatly appreciated...and have a few for the guys that have done the leaf swap

1. any Idea of what height I can expect with the stock f150 leafs?
2. how did you get your shock measurements?

Also found out that I have a "special" Dana 44...it seems that the brain children at ford designed an axle for a two year time frame that had the house about 1" closer to the drivers side than normal...so normal inner axles don't fit...hence the need for custom cut axles...(I wasnt going to go to all the trouble of an sas and use standard inners on chromemoly outers).

more pics on my stupid motors.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Looking GOOD!! I wish I was doing a SAS. Hopefully one day I will.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I doubt it redwagon.

It's not a snofighter (that's a D60 front).
looks to me like a normal HD D44, which is leaf sprung, and as you've found out, has it's own size shafts. go to mr. N's site and you'll see what I mean.

Looks sweet though.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shadofax said:
I doubt it redwagon.

It's not a snofighter (that's a D60 front).
looks to me like a normal HD D44, which is leaf sprung, and as you've found out, has it's own size shafts. go to mr. N's site and you'll see what I mean.

Looks sweet though.
Ok so the leaf spring d44 is specific to its own axles?...was all over mr N's site ands looks like they only offered this axle from 77 to 79.

wasnt sure what a snowfighter actually was...thanks for the info Shado.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
redwagon said:
7. using seamless dom 1.5 by .120 wall for steering and draglink...with chevy tie rod ends.
That tube doen't have a thick enough wall to last very long. If you wedge a tire I'd be willing to bet the stock steering could fold it up. .219 wall is as thin as you should go for steering links and I'd suggest nothing less then .250 wall for your track bar.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks like you're making good progress. You'll have to let us know how the cryo freezing works out. I only have one question at this time. Why did you choose to go with a leaf sprung front axle over coils? I know you wanted to keep your original wheels that's why your keeping the original outers on the HD44. Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.:twotu:

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dogonmut said:
That tube doen't have a thick enough wall to last very long. If you wedge a tire I'd be willing to bet the stock steering could fold it up. .219 wall is as thin as you should go for steering links and I'd suggest nothing less then .250 wall for your track bar.
cool...thought also about going with....these guys for steering also.
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Steering/SteeringParts/Customtie.html

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gtndrty said:
Looks like you're making good progress. You'll have to let us know how the cryo freezing works out. I only have one question at this time. Why did you choose to go with a leaf sprung front axle over coils? I know you wanted to keep your original wheels that's why your keeping the original outers on the HD44. Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.:twotu:
thats what I was able to get my hands on for one...also I kinda of like the idea of leafs...

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kaudbron said:
is perch spacing 32"? also lets see pictures of your rear shackle mount. THanks
I went with a 36" perch spacing...
rear spring shackle mounts...lt and rt.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
kaudbron said:
is perch spacing 32"?
Nope. You can tell from the pics it's ~36"

1.framerail spacing
2.you can see the driver's perch has been "widened"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hay RED,
Looks like the parts from me will be put to good use. Dog is right about the wall thickness for the steering. You can get away with if if you sleeved it the tubing. Keep us posted on the job. If you need anymore tubibg let me know.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
autrans said:
Hay RED,
Looks like the parts from me will be put to good use. Dog is right about the wall thickness for the steering. You can get away with if if you sleeved it the tubing. Keep us posted on the job. If you need anymore tubibg let me know.
that was another option I was thinking about this morning...small tube in the larger tube...and plug weld it.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got in the rod ends today...so will use the 1.5 x.120 wall for steering and drag link and most likely will add the inner tube also.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
redwagon said:
1. Dana 44 out of a 1978 F150 super cab (snow fighter?)
It has leaf springs because it is a super cab and 5 on 5.5 lug spacing because it is an F150.

Yesterday, I saw an ~1983 FSB for sale in Tallahassee that had a SAS with that same axle. It looked like he had a full float D60 out back with new hubs etc.

The weird thing is it had a sort of 2-link setup from out side of the spring perches and attaced to the frame. These things were seriously long. The steering looked like crap on it. It had 46" baja claws. I can't find the charger for my camera.:banghead

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
True, I should have looked at that closer. No HD D44 (not 8 lug), but rather the leaf sprung supercab with standard 1/2T outers. I would have to visit mr. N's info. again though.....seems like these were setup to use the same length inner shafts as the Heavy Duty D44 since they are both leaf sprung. Also IIRC it has the thick wall tubing. Basically everything minus 8 lug stuff. back when I had not decided which axle yet this was one I was looking at for leaf it's setup already for that, and it has the standard outers.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shadofax said:
True, I should have looked at that closer. No HD D44 (not 8 lug), but rather the leaf sprung supercab with standard 1/2T outers. I would have to visit mr. N's info. again though.....seems like these were setup to use the same length inner shafts as the Heavy Duty D44 since they are both leaf sprung. Also IIRC it has the thick wall tubing. Basically everything minus 8 lug stuff. back when I had not decided which axle yet this was one I was looking at for leaf it's setup already for that, and it has the standard outers.
ya it runs the 1/2 tubes...and the outers are the same but the inners are I guess the same as the f250...little longer on pass side...and little shorter on drivers side.

and its back out of the bko and being dropped off today to get the gearing setup.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.