Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am going to upgrade my axles on my 90 Bronco because I am going up to 37" Goodyear MTR's. I have been looking at all I coud find on the web, and the one that strikes me as the best upgrade is to find a 80-86 F-250 4x4 and snag the Dana 50ttbs and the Dana 60 rear axle.* I bought my Bronco because the from was IFS, so doing a SAS would defeat that purpose.* Anyways... I was wondering if anyone has done this swap.* Mainly I am looking for small input as I plan on taking the Beams, radius arms, brakes(including the master and booster), and drivelines. I found on the web a page that rates the Dana 50TTB in stock form up to 37" tires. I have the web link if anyone is interested. Thanks

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
why do you want to keep IFS? unless you are doing a prerunner build SAS

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
D50 beams are different length than D44, you cant just swap them. Were you planning to swap to leaf spring up front too?

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
you cant use the F250 TTB IIRC it has leaf springs instead of coils(correct me if im wrong)

damn todd you beat me to it:thumbup

·
Registered
258 Posts
The D50 TTB has different mounting brackets and areas IIRC and will need to make a new crossmember. There are a few threads talking about the D55 TTB swap nd most of them say use the guts from the D50 TTB and place them in the D44 TTB (there are several threads about that swap as well).

The D60 rear should be a fairly easy and there are threads about that swap as well.

Check the Tech Writeups for these threads.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The D50 TTB leafsprings can me made to work as long as you have a cutting torch and welding machine and a lot of time to get it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the impression that it wa a direct swap and that the Dana50 ttb was a coil spring jus like the bronco. And I race in the desert,and will use my bronco to prerun courses to answer the why question. I will have to go back to that tech aticle. And I will search more on swapping the guts of the 50 into my 44.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
also check out the bronco speed section

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I was under the impression that it wa a direct swap and that the Dana50 ttb was a coil spring jus like the bronco. And I race in the desert,and will use my bronco to prerun courses to answer the why question. I will have to go back to that tech aticle. And I will search more on swapping the guts of the 50 into my 44.
the center section is a direct swap with and the d50 stub shaft is a common upgrade but you gain very little on the ring gear size and there are almost no options for front lockers

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
the D50 beams are about 8" shorter than D44 beams. Either you'd have to swap the D50 pivots to the bronco and have stupid short arms, or you'd have to lengthen the D50 beams to D44 length.

Off the top of my head, i'd think the easiest way would be to cut the out C off of the 50 beam and put it on the 44 beam so you can use the 50/small 60 outers and the 50 center would be a bolt in affair. This would also give you the ability to twist the C's for driveline angles. Might even be able to get the C's outside the 44 coil mount?

But, lengthening on the inside gives you the ability to turn the beams and get a bracketless lift. . .

No matter what it will be alot of work.

Justin

·
Billdo
2,195 Posts
i was alway under the impression that this wasnt possible, but that said a buddy of mine has an mid 90s f150 that now has a d50ttb, 10.25 rear and a cummings... i dont know much about how he did it, but ill try to get pics and info. problem is hes workingin alaska right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts