Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that the Dana 44 TTB will bolt in place of my factory 2WD front suspension. Is the Dana 50 TTB interchangeable with the Dana 44 TTb, or do the leafs make is much more difficult to mount?

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
It is not interchangeable. The D50 arms are different lengths and bolt up in different spots IIRC. The leaf springs aren't the prob.

Bunch of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
754 Posts
d50 ttb?

No need just beef up the stock arms. You sure dont want 8 hole wheels. To much of a pain. New wheels and lots of cranking to change the tires.
The main advantage of the D50 is the bigger crossove u-joint. But the D44 joint only breaks when rock crawling. For that use do a SAS.

If you are breaking R&P put the D50 guts in the D44 housing. Works good. I dont see the need for that either.
Paul

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not interchangeable. The D50 arms are different lengths and bolt up in different spots IIRC. The leaf springs aren't the prob.

Bunch of threads on this topic.
Thanks. I did a search and didnt find any results. I might just buy a TTB for now and buy a solid axle later.

I can get any front axle for $150 right now at the local scrap yard and even though I won't have any flex; I think it would be much cheaper to swap to TTB than to have to fabricate and purchase all the things to do a solid axle swap.

No need just beef up the stock arms. You sure dont want 8 hole wheels. To much of a pain. New wheels and lots of cranking to change the tires.
The main advantage of the D50 is the bigger crossove u-joint. But the D44 joint only breaks when rock crawling. For that use do a SAS.

If you are breaking R&P put the D50 guts in the D44 housing. Works good. I dont see the need for that either.
Paul

Beef up the stock arms? Whats the point? The stock cast iron 2WD I beams seem beefy enough to me.

I was trying to find out of the D50 was interchangeable to I could convert my F-150 to four wheel drive. I may just swap in the TTb and buy a divorced transfer case, but I may not. My main reasons for this are the difficulties I am having while trying to align my factory suspension with a 2" lift. I would like to just do an SAS, but that would require a lot more work.

·
Registered
754 Posts
D50 ttrb conversion

Thanks. I did a search and didnt find any results. I might just buy a TTB for now and buy a solid axle later.

I can get any front axle for $150 right now at the local scrap yard and even though I won't have any flex; I think it would be much cheaper to swap to TTB than to have to fabricate and purchase all the things to do a solid axle swap.
-----------------
Beef up the stock arms? Whats the point? The stock cast iron 2WD I beams seem beefy enough to me.

I was trying to find out of the D50 was interchangeable to I could convert my F-150 to four wheel drive. I may just swap in the TTb and buy a divorced transfer case, but I may not. My main reasons for this are the difficulties I am having while trying to align my factory suspension with a 2" lift. I would like to just do an SAS, but that would require a lot more work.
============
Sorry, I thot you wanted to go from d44 ttb to d50 ttb. 2wd to 4wd is an even bigger deal. It would be a lot easier to sell the 2wd truck and buy a 4wd -for sure.
Alignment with 2" lift?? Have you talked to a specialized off road fab shop? 2wd desert trucks are used all the time and alignment is not an issue with any lift.
Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's much harder to find a 5-speed and I6 drivetrain than it is to find 4x4 components to convert my truck to four wheel drive. I had looked for about 6 months before finding my truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.