Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a D60 I'm going to be buying and building up (naturally :thumbup) so I started poking around on Pirate 4x4 and Mr. N's page to see if a 1990 D60 is what I want. I'm going to run the Cage weld on braketry for the arm setup - so the evil doings of the grinding and welding for c-wedges is no longer an issue.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about - here is a pic

Now you know some background - here is the meat of the question. Looking for Chrome Moly Axles I'm seeing some troubleing numbers. I know that the 1990 Ford D60 is a kingpin axle - the differential is like 3.5" toward the drivers side more then the 78-79 Dana 60. On JBG there are kits that fit the following:
Fits 1978-79 Ford Dana 60 Front Axle
Fits 1985-88.5 Ford Dana 60 Front King Pin Axle
Fits 1988.5-98 Ford Dana 60 Front Ball Joint Axle

According to the Dana 60 Axle Tech - 1990 is Kingpin - in 92 they went to balljoint

1988-91.5 F-350 with single rear wheels (SRW)

1992-95 F-350 (all) (balljoint)

All these Ford versions were drivers side differential, reverse-cut (high pinion) gears, and kingpin knuckles to 1991.5 and balljoints thereafter.

So what axleshafts will work in the 1990 Dana 60? Why would a balljoint vs kingpin axle run different axleshafts? Would these axles work in a 1990 D60? It fits in the year ranges - but it isn't a balljoint axle...

Thanks for your help :beer

KyleQ

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Anyone? According to Yukon Gear & Axle's website there isn't a difference either...

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5192

"Yukon front 4340 Chrome-Moly axle kit for '88-'98 Ford, Dana Spicer 60 with 35 splines."
I am not the man here to trust seeing as I don't have a 60, but I'd say JBG is wrong and Yukon is right. there should be no axleshaft difference except for the older 78-79's and you pointed out why that is.

Why did you post this here vs. the SAS forum where lots of folks have done lots of research while putting their 60's in???

·
Banned
495 Posts
There is a D60 I'm going to be buying and building up (naturally :thumbup) so I started poking around on Pirate 4x4 and Mr. N's page to see if a 1990 D60 is what I want. I'm going to run the Cage weld on braketry for the arm setup - so the evil doings of the grinding and welding for c-wedges is no longer an issue.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about - here is a pic

Now you know some background - here is the meat of the question. Looking for Chrome Moly Axles I'm seeing some troubleing numbers. I know that the 1990 Ford D60 is a kingpin axle - the differential is like 3.5" toward the drivers side more then the 78-79 Dana 60. On JBG there are kits that fit the following:
Fits 1978-79 Ford Dana 60 Front Axle
Fits 1985-88.5 Ford Dana 60 Front King Pin Axle
Fits 1988.5-98 Ford Dana 60 Front Ball Joint Axle

According to the Dana 60 Axle Tech - 1990 is Kingpin - in 92 they went to balljoint

1988-91.5 F-350 with single rear wheels (SRW)

1992-95 F-350 (all) (balljoint)

All these Ford versions were drivers side differential, reverse-cut (high pinion) gears, and kingpin knuckles to 1991.5 and balljoints thereafter.

So what axleshafts will work in the 1990 Dana 60? Why would a balljoint vs kingpin axle run different axleshafts? Would these axles work in a 1990 D60? It fits in the year ranges - but it isn't a balljoint axle...

Thanks for your help :beer

KyleQ

where u gettign your cage arms at? and how much? also do they come withthem weldon brackets? or does that cost more? im gaining info to order mine soon for my 78 bronco

Ray

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not the man here to trust seeing as I don't have a 60, but I'd say JBG is wrong and Yukon is right. there should be no axleshaft difference except for the older 78-79's and you pointed out why that is.

Why did you post this here vs. the SAS forum where lots of folks have done lots of research while putting their 60's in???
Well - technically is really isn't a SAS yet - I dont have a 60, Cage arms, or shafts yet. I didn't want to get flamed and this somewhat seemed like a technical question. Just trying to be careful - I searched everywhere and couldn't find jack...

If you want to have this moved there - I wouldn't be against it. Probably a better fit only because of the D60 nature...

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
where u gettign your cage arms at? and how much? also do they come withthem weldon brackets? or does that cost more? im gaining info to order mine soon for my 78 bronco

Ray
Ray, there has been tons of info. very recently on:

1) cage arms, and the different mounts for 44 vs. 60
2) where you can buy them, go to the cage site, or call them up, they are great to work with.

Do you have any response to Kyle's questions, or are you just pirating his thread?;)

If you want to know where he specifically intends to buy his from, PM him, but I don't see how that will help you much where you are at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts