Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an awesome step by step install article on the net somewhere for installing a 79 Dana 60 in a 79 Bronco, but can't find it now. Anyone know where it is?

P.S. I tried searching dana 60 here, but it won't let me. Says 60 has to few characters. Go figure! :banghead

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the other one I saw talked about cutting wedgies off a ~77 Dana 44 axle and grinding them to fit the Dana 60 axle. That seems better than machine shop work. I will have the axle next week and am trying to research the install. I hate to get in the middle of a project especially when I have help and have to wait on some part.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
james duff sells the wedges as well as I think JGB sells them as well.

you have to take the wedges off of 77 and older axles because in 78 they no longer welded them on

·
Super Moderator
26,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
it is really saad that people are cutting up one of the best dana 44's ever made when they could spend a few dollars and buy new wedges.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
i got mine from a guy that cut them off the axle. i only wanted them for the trac bar mount. if you dont mind fabbing a mount for that, get the wedges from the two places mentioned. i tell you its gotta be a pain to machine that deal. i used a grinder & all it took was time. you better get a quote from the shop before you chop an axle. with the cost of the < > deals being so low, i think you may want to try that first. i feel i got really lucky to find my deals.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The James Duff wedges are $75.00 and still have to be ground down and have no trac bar mount. That's crazy! As for JGB I can't find any info on them unless you mean JGB enterprises (hydralics and hose company) which doesn't sell any wedges that I can find. I have a friend that works at a foundry. If I could get a set to make the casts from he could make us some that would bolt on really cheaply with no grinding.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TurdBronco said:
JBG as in broncograveyard.com
I didn't find it, but I emailed them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you need to call them on the phone

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Damn. That is a nice looking swap. Jeez.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used a 79 44 housing cause it was the only one available at the time. Aparantly -the tubes are pressed into this cast piece with the wedges/trac bar mount. The inside was FAR from round -where the wedges come in to meet the tube -the inside of the casting was WAY thicker -kinda like wedges on the inside (if that makes sense). I took them to a "friendly" machine shop and had them bored out to 3-1/8" for $150. Turns out the guy went through so many bits -he said he'd charge no less than $200 a side next time!
Anyway -the casting fit back on the axle tube and we welded them back together. My axle looks like a stock 78 Dana 44 now -looks like the tubes are pressed into the casting. IMO -it seems stronger than if I just welded those Duff wedges to the tube. It was a MAJOR PITA to machine out though -thought about doing it the way Axe did -but it would have been impossible!

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
i agree. with the axle you got them off of, grinding would have been a very long task. i could have used the spacers, but i want that factory look too. as it is, i still need to take 1/8" off each dealy still. i sent my high steering arms back to the guy that made them to make a few alterations in the design just to make me sleep better. ask me in a PM and i will explain if you want to know. after that i gotta get the rods made and i only know how long the tie rod is so far. then have the deals welded to the axle after i get the pinion angle right. thats gonna suck since i will have to drive the truck and the axle to a flat spot and get it all set up. plus i still gotta do the hard brake line on the D60. oh and i dont even know if the trac bar & drag link angles will be ok... thats why i took a break.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SquattyD said:
Hey Deadman, how are the trucks coming? On the road yet?
Trucks? Only have one -FOR NOW ;)
It's on the road 100 miles a day at 2mpg! -Nevermind the 100 miles of tire spin to get through the 100 yard mudpit on the weekends!

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
dude are you serious? 2mph? you drive that thing 100 miles to work? i owe you a beer or a shot. i feel great about my 8mpg now & i never thought that was possible. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts