Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent yet to really find out the difference from a chevy dana 60 to a ford dana 60, other than the pumpkin being on the oposite side. while searching for other dana 60 info, i came accross this, which i think was posted here before, i have a few questions on it

this bronco has a GM dana 60 front, which is leaf sprung. now i though that doing a leaf spring conversion on the 78-79's had a problem and it coulnd be done becasue of the steering box is that correct? and arent the chevy springs 2.5" wide rather than the ford of 3" wide. so those most likely are chevy 8" lift springs?

"A Chevy Dana 60 axle was selected for the front end for strength and a right-side pumpkin for the custom T-case, but installing a Chevy axle in a Ford presented some challenges. The Chevy hubs were replaced with late-model Ford F-250 manual locking hubs and brake rotors. The Chevy stub axles were also swapped for Ford F-350 parts. The outer bearing surfaces of both spindles were machined 5/8 inch deeper (toward the inner bearing surface), the locking threads were chased back 5/8 inch deeper, and the end of the spindles were cut down by 5/8 inch. The steering was changed from left knuckle to right, and a custom-made steering block keeps the drag link nearly level from the top of the steering block to the pitman arm. Custom spring hangers dropped the shackles and the 8-inch springs to meet the axle. Adding a 3-inch body lift into the equation gave the truck 18 inches of lift."

this here is part of the reason for the gm dana 60.....

"No, you’re not seeing double—those are two transfer cases. The lead ’case is an NP205 and the trailer is a Rockwell 223 from a 1 1/2-ton International. Together they provide nearly a 4:1 low range plus right-side output to match the Chevy front axle. The ’cases were connected through a custom 13-inch shaft made from two yokes by Tampa Brake and Supply Company from Lakeland. The Rockwell has a right-side front driveshaft output so the front shaft travels straight into the front diff without hitting the front T-case, and the output shaft locations are lower than the NP205 for better driveline angles. The NP205 is cradled in its stock frame crossmember, but Terry had to fabricate a custom frame support for the Rockwell. The original shift linkage was shortened and made to fit the new access hole cut into the truck’s floor. "

heres the link for more..... 79 bronco

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
dude thats like my color package

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Like Crazed said...you can do the same thing WAY easier...I don't see why you'd wanna other than to say you did it...:shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Well, I'll be damned it is! I didn't click the link cause I'm on dial-up :banghead That was a badass rig! (not sure which was the baddest, it or the blue 150) I wonder why in the hell he went the chebby 60 route?? :wacko

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blueoval78 said:
i havent yet to really find out the difference from a chevy dana 60 to a ford dana 60, other than the pumpkin being on the oposite side. while searching for other dana 60 info, i came accross this, which i think was posted here before, i have a few questions on it

this bronco has a GM dana 60 front, which is leaf sprung. now i though that doing a leaf spring conversion on the 78-79's had a problem and it coulnd be done becasue of the steering box is that correct? and arent the chevy springs 2.5" wide rather than the ford of 3" wide. so those most likely are chevy 8" lift springs?

why was the swap made from chevy dana 60 parts to ford dana 60 parts?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
chevy vs ford 60's

you folks need to do some reading.

1st Ford's front 60 is stronger in the R&P than the chevy.

2nd it is easier to do a 35 spline upgrade on a chevy than a ford.

3rd the obvious one, pumpkin is on the passenger side vs the driver side.

those are the big ones. I recommend you going to POR and read the Dana 60 tech article and you will be amazed on how much you learn.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
D60 Bible... good read. i think the chebbie spindles are thicker. i read that somewhere. so does the 78-79 D60 have 35 spline inner shafts? outer are 30, inner are necked down if they are original, but replacements arent im told. for the ford, you just put in the new outers & change lockouts? i gues you may as well do the inner shafts as well. here you go .... B I B L E

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Why the fawk would he cut the spindles down 5/8"? Why not just use the Chevy parts in the first place? Would be easier to 35-spl (which he apparently DID NOT do), and it's definitely a bunch cheaper.

And how about that steering setup? Wow... that high steer arm has got to be 8" tall.

·
Registered
84 Posts
um....

sign me up for "not impressed"....

and I really love how he tries to spin using the ford parts to sound like it's somehow better, and "custom"....
IMO, everything about the chevy D60 is superior to the ford except the center section....and really....I think the ideal setup to be the ford center w/ Dodge knuckles (the steering arms are higher than the chevy ones) w/ either dodge or chevy internal hub outters....
it is fact that the dodge/chevy knuckles are stronger than the ford ones....
its WAY easier to use the 35spl stubs (ie...they just fit)

that guy is gonna have lots of fun when he breaks a 30spl stub, and it ruins his "custom" spindle...

--B

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i am not sure what you guys are talking about. but jopes, dont you just swap the outer stubs and lockouts on a ford D60 with the upgraded 35 spline outers. also are the 79 ford D60s 35 spline inners? i really didnt read that first guys write up after i saw the steering arm setup.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
chevy 35 spline stubs are too long for ford outters. they fit in there but they need to be machined a little shorter.

I think there might be a couple companies that are either making or going to start making ford stubs so no machinging has to be done.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I don't get the point of that whole rig. Why 4:1 low range? Rock crawler? I don't think so. Why a freak D60 front? Broke em too much with the 4:1 crawler setup? This makes my little brain hurt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
:rebelflag One big advantage the Ford D60 has over the GM is not only the extra strength inherent to the "reverse-cut" gear set, but the high pinion location makes for better driveline angles. Check out my site for pics. SuperBronco Driveline pics :rebelflag

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
yeah i knew that you had to move the snap ring groove in .500" on the stubs. still thats cool. also like it said, the old stock shafts are necked down. but the new OEM ones are not. so just getting new shafts will be a nice upgrade. gotta start looking for them. i wonder if the local truck parts place can get them complete or put the joints in and hack off the tip a bit...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts