Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving up on the rear Dana 60 rear. I "found" a Dana 70HD at no cost. It is from a 1980 E350 SRW van. The BOM is 603934-8 and has a 4.10 gear and unequal 35 spline shafts. I currently have 4.56 gears. I have a 79 Ford HP Dana 60 front on the way that I'll have to regear. I'm thinking about a 5.13 or a 4.88. The 4.56 does fine on the trail with my C6, but can't do over 50 or so on the highway. I think with a lower gear I'll get closer to my power range and do better on the highway. Anyway my questions are:

1. Is this axle worth installing? The shafts are unequal and its a tad wider than my Dana 60. Does this offset center affect anything?

2. What is the cheapest locker out there for this rear?

3. Are the gears different for a 70 and a 70HD?

4. Is the locker different for a 70 and a 70HD?

5. Where's the best place to get the gears/lockers for this axle?

6. Does anyone have any of the stuff I need used?

7. On the Dana 60 front does it matter for the locker that is is a reverse cut high pinion? (are all Dana 60 35 spline lockers the same)

Thanks in advance, you guys have been a great help with all this so far! :usa

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know anything about this stuff? Please... good guessing would be helpfull!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with the 70. The pumpkin is HUGE, the gears and lockers are expensive (compared to other axles) and the selection is narrow. The offset pumpkin only came in the van, so your driveshaft will be at two different angles now. I would try to find a 10.25 for a dirrect bolt in, or a 14 bolt for durability and cheapness of upgrades.
A D60 35 spline locker is the same front or rear.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dude!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Friend of mine has a 14b out of a 3/4 chevy. He is wantin' my 9" for his
'59 panel truck and we're workin' out the deal. From info I've been gatherin',
the 14b is the route I'm gonna take for my '79's rear.

If ya don't mind me askin', what did the HP60 Ford front come out of, where
did ya locate it, and what did ya have to give for it. I need to get off my
duff and scour some bone yards 'round here. Just curious as your info may
be of some help to me in findin' what I'm gonna need. Thanks.

I like your bko. :beer

·
I Cannnt Digggggg It!!!
375 Posts
My bro has a D70 rear.I dont know if its a HD or not but its out of an econoline van.All he had to do was make the correct measurements and reweld the spring perches.he got 488 gears on ebay for 60 bux and a 1410 yoke for 10 bux on ebay...

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
79broncn said:
If ya don't mind me askin', what did the HP60 Ford front come out of, where
did ya locate it, and what did ya have to give for it. I need to get off my
duff and scour some bone yards 'round here. Just curious as your info may
be of some help to me in findin' what I'm gonna need. Thanks.

I like your bko. :beer

I got a 79 HP Dana 60 Ford axle out of a F-250 snofighter truck. I got it off ebay for $605.32. When I do a search I just type in Dana 60 in ebaymotors. There's a lot of junk, but that way I get them all. This one was listed as "Dana 60 axle" when I looked at the detail I found out what it was. The guy also said pick up only. I went to freightquote.com ($200 shipping) and had them go by and pick it up. Normally they sell for about $1000. You just have to watch for them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gub_Ni said:
I got a 79 HP Dana 60 Ford axle out of a F-250 snofighter truck. I got it off ebay for $605.32. When I do a search I just type in Dana 60 in ebaymotors. There's a lot of junk, but that way I get them all. This one was listed as "Dana 60 axle" when I looked at the detail I found out what it was. The guy also said pick up only. I went to freightquote.com ($200 shipping) and had them go by and pick it up. Normally they sell for about $1000. You just have to watch for them.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts