Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after chasing a 332 code [EGR valve opening not detected] on my 95, I finly found the problem. The darn coffee can rotted out!!!!!! Well 13years I guess thats OK, it only cost me $27.

Now to fix all the other bugs!!!!!! [gutta love getting a new project back on the road!!!]:banghead:banghead]

·
Registered
124 Posts
why didnt you just buy some coffee.. much cheaper.. LOL jk, good think you found it! I have the same code. Only i dont have an EGR valve anymore :)

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
i just had the same probs....codes 332, 225, egr & air unresponsive, i just used a can opener to cut the toop off my can and cut a hole in a bushs beans can then RTV and screw on your top and done ill be making a write up soon

my fix was free

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I've got a piece of Schedule 40 PVC with caps on it, painted black, that I'm using. Took about five minutes to make, holes and gluing included. Looks like a damn pipe bomb strapped to the fender liner. I should've painted it red and put "TNT" on it in yellow letters.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
I've got a piece of Schedule 40 PVC with caps on it, painted black, that I'm using. Took about five minutes to make, holes and gluing included. Looks like a damn pipe bomb strapped to the fender liner. I should've painted it red and put "TNT" on it in yellow letters.
what did you do about the needed check valves like in the stock canister

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
what did you do about the needed check valves like in the stock canister
Ripped it out of the original, dimensioned it, used my hole saw, RTV'd in place.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it from ford. I work in the parts biz, so I get a discont. :D :D List price $34.20, my cost $25.65. :) [Ford part number D5TZ9E453A]

And ya, it rotted at the bottom. Looked fine up top, and did not know till I tested it with a vac pump.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
were there any symptoms of the coffe can or did you just chase the EGR code to that?
Well as I was checking out the system to see what was broke, I noticed that there ws no vac soing into the control solunoid. Lines checked out OK, so then I checked that tank. As I said, it did not look bad, but was rusty under it. A quick test with a vac pump showed me it was bad.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
ill have to wait till this weekend to do my write-up, gotta get another digicam friday, hell sig could even do his then we`ll have the pipe bomb fix and a like-factory fix, mine is purdy much factory. its the same exact size and shape, it even fits in the original bracket that bolts to the wheel well

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Here's a quick shot from the 'phone. Not much to see, really. It's more threatening when you're carrying it around or painting it in your garage and people are looking. :rofl:

Attachments

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
To be honest, probably not. It's not complicated at all, even easier than changing oil. I'll give a basic outline here.

All ya have to do is pick out a piece of Schedule 40 PVC from Lowes, Home Desperate, local hardware, etc., two end caps for it, and the PVC cement and activator (usually come together). You'll need some black RTV, too (black RTV is more resistant to oil, which can occur in the vacuum system in small amounts, since it's connected to the intake manifold). Chop the pipe to whatever length you want with a hacksaw, then use a hole saw to cut a hole in one of the caps (2 5/8 [2.625] inches, IIRC). Prime the ends of the pipe and the insides of the caps with the PVC primer, wait a minute, then coat the same parts with cement. Push the caps on QUICK, and hold it together for about 30 seconds. That's all it needs to dry.

Now to the old part. Pull the strap bracket off that's on the bottom of the can off, keeping it straight so you can reuse it. Sometimes it's easier to remove the two nuts on the tire side of the fender liner, pull the sucker out, and have at it then. Using a drill, metal shears, whatever ya got handy, cut the metal surrounding the plastic part on the end with the vacuum fittings. It'll eventually fall out; there might be a plastic ring squeezing the fitting to the can's end to compress an O-ring for an air tight seal. Rough the hole you made in the end cap, so it's not shiny (mild sandpaper works great); this is so the RTV will stick. Using black RTV, coat the edges of the fitting where it will contact the new piece, and also coat the edges of the hole in the pipe cap. It needs to be thick enough to not fail under high vacuum, and to hold the fitting in place. Stick it in place. You probably want to somehow prop the whole thing upright so that the vacuum fitting doesn't slide out of place. Wait a few hours for the RTV to cure. Paint the whole thing your favorite color. Test the reservoir and check valve by applying hand-pump vacuum to the port that goes to the intake (red line), while capping the other. It should hold ~22 inHg for over a minute. You'll know pretty quickly if there's a significant leak.

Use some 5-inch (I think?) hose clamps to hold the pipe to the strap clamp. Snug it up, put the vacuum fitting on, good to go!

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i might have to do that for my bronco cause i think the bottom of the can is rusted out. might as well do the same thing for my f150 as well while i'm at it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a quick shot from the 'phone. Not much to see, really. It's more threatening when you're carrying it around or painting it in your garage and people are looking. :rofl:

Hey, whats that valve on thefirewal to the left of the heater/AC box???

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hey, whats that valve on thefirewal to the left of the heater/AC box???
Isn't that the blend door motor? Or maybe the fresh/recirc motor?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts