Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Holy crap! Guess when you play with fire you get [email protected]

Seriously...what were they thinkin'?

KC

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Thanks for the respect your showing to the young men who made the ultimate sacrifice while performing their jobs.

I guess the next time a police office is killed by a criminal, or a fireman who never came out from the burning building we can see video clips and refer the them as dumbA$$s.

The Darwin award is for individuals who did a service to humanity by removing themselves, these seems far from qualifying!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Don't condemn their actions until you find out what their orders were.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Thanks for the respect your showing to the young men who made the ultimate sacrifice while performing their jobs.

I guess the next time a police office is killed by a criminal, or a fireman who never came out from the burning building we can see video clips and refer the them as dumbA$$s.

The Darwin award is for individuals who did a service to humanity by removing themselves, these seems far from qualifying!
Sorry if this comes out wrong:

I am pretty sure that it was the malitia(sp?) as in the iraqi peoples army. Not our guys. I really don't think our guys wear white. And I am also sure they are wearing a hellava lot more of stuff then the guys in the vid (as in tactical gear). I could be wrong. It is hard to tell IMO(from the vid). And who the hell digs up a mortar/land mine with their BARE-HANDS!? :twak I mean no offense to anyone who is serving, but if your not smart enought to think before digging up a bomb with you hands, then your stupid. Say what you want, that is just plain stupid!

I thank all that are serving the country. :usa

KC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was no disrespect meant on my part. Didnt think they where part of the american army. I support all troops in combat protecting our countries. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I guess a better name for this topic would be what where they thinking!

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Pretty sure the guy with the helmet was US (probably an advisor), and the other three were Iraqi soldiers. I was unsure myself so I did not specify in my previous comments. They clothing appear white because of the optical device used in the bird. Also suspect the one with the helmet was US since the bird was there.

The individuals were probably receiving instruction on how to disable the device since they most likely lack the desired equipment.

I know my views may not be the same as others though consider the Iraqis to be serving their country. No granted the value system is different though it's how I view it.

·
Like them tires spinnin'
846 Posts
They were volunteers of another country(probably Iraqi) and I'm pretty sure the guys in the helicopter would not have reacted the way they did if it were our boys. No trained American military man would be digging up a live round with the muzzle of his gun, much less an AK!

·
Registered
500 Posts
They were volunteers of another country(probably Iraqi) and I'm pretty sure the guys in the helicopter would not have reacted the way they did if it were our boys. No trained American military man would be digging up a live round with the muzzle of his gun, much less an AK!
:stupid

If you listen to the audio, the guy plainly states that they are militia. IMO anyone using the muzzle of their gun as a pry bar to dig out a live round is a prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

mR

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just so everyone is clear....these militia where not getting instruction on how to "disable the device". This unfortunately is a common occurance with ISF (Iraqi Security Forces) because a lack of training and quite honestly a lack of sophistication among Iraqi nationals. The cliche "common sense isn't very common" is an understatement in Iraq. I have seen many instances where locals do things like this that are absolutely beyond what we think a reasonable person would do. I say they were not getting instruction for a couple of reasons: 1- When we (US Military) train ISF and "provide instruction" it is done in a controlled environment, on the FOB (forward operating base). 2 - EOD (exploseive ordnance disposal) takes all ordnance and IED's very seriously, IF they allowed a local national near a device for education purposes, it would be 4 US troops and maybe 1 local national, not the other way around. Lastly EOD rarely "disables" devices, beacuse there is too much risk involved, standard procedure is to cordon the area (meaning get everyone away) and destroy it using a small explosive charge to detonate it.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Sad way to go regardless, any more info on this? Folks on the ground reported 3 were ok???
Its hard to tell who is who in the vid, but I'm pretty sure no one lived after seeing the hole in the ground that mine left. Especially if you where right on top of it.

KC

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
After watching that video several times, I must say that those individuals were not only candidates for Darwin Awards, they are veritable shoo-ins. Their actions cannot be attributed to a lack of training or sophistication...I've never been in the military and I have absolutely zero training in EOD, but even I have enough common sense not to attempt to dig up a live artillery shell.

And why were they attempting to dig it up in the first place? The only reason that I can think of would be to re-use the shell as an IED, so f**k 'em, they got exactly what they deserved. If it was an IED that had already been planted, they should have just BIP'd the damn thing.

There were no U.S. personnel in that party...even the dumbest hillbilly PFC would have enough sense to stay the hell away from that clusterf**k.

There was nothing brave about what those morons were doing...they're just profoundly stupid. :doh0715:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts