Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon to everyone,

I’ve wired up my new AutoMeter cobalt digital water temp gauge. It looks amazing (will supply pics later) and is very accurate to the degree, but I must say the light at night is near blinding while going down the road. This motivates me to wire up the dimmer wire coming from the gauge.

I talked to a representative at AutoMeter and he said that there should be a wire that runs straight to the switch with a rheostat that cuts power when turned down and restores it when turned up, and is variable. He said if I wire the dimmer wire from the gauge into the wire connected to the switch, that it will work just as intended and I will even be able to variably dim the gauge along with the instrument cluster. There is a black wire with a white stripe down the middle that looks to be connected to the switch, pictured below:

Is this the wire I need to hook the dimmer wire from the gauge up with?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have an 80, and my EVTM indicates a light blue with red stripe wire as the output wire from the headlight switch rheostat.

FWIW, the only black with stripe wire my manual shows from the headlight switch is a black with pink stripe, and it goes to the courtesy lights.

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 80, and my EVTM indicates a light blue with red stripe wire as the output wire from the headlight switch rheostat.

FWIW, the only black with stripe wire my manual shows from the headlight switch is a black with pink stripe, and it goes to the courtesy lights.
Hey JR, that ended up being the wire I was after! Made the process a whole lot quicker (after finding it haha). Mine ran to the bulb that lights up the headlights and windshield wipers icon. As I had a multimeter running to it, I was increasing and decreasing the brightness VIA the rheostat, the voltage varied from 8.93V-11 and some change. That’s how I knew it was the wire I was looking for. About to finish the wiring and I’ll post some pics of the aftermath.

Much thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts