Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back when i got my bronco the headlights didint work so i took apart the dash and put the light switch from my 78 f-150 in it, didint work so i switched them back, the dash lights did work, now they dont, does that thing thats conected to the guage cover thing have anything to do with it? or am i just crap outta luck.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
78brownbronco said:
back when i got my bronco the headlights didint work so i took apart the dash and put the light switch from my 78 f-150 in it, didint work so i switched them back, the dash lights did work, now they dont, does that thing thats conected to the guage cover thing have anything to do with it? or am i just crap outta luck.
did you try the floor dimmer switch...don't change it out first, just go from lo to high, couple of times. replace the switch before you tear out the dash. Easy to get to, cheap swap. If that's not it, you're not out much...

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
There have been a lot of printed circuit boards on Ebay last couple of weeks. I bought one for about $10 last week...Might wanna try that route. I've got a copy of Fords electrical/vacuum troubleshooting guide. I was gonna have Kinko's scan it in. Send me your email address if your interested in it...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes during the process of tryin to get my headlights to work the dash lights stopped working, mainly after i took that dash piece off. but the headlights do work now, but dash lights would be nice. and ill try to look up some sort of troubleshooting guide so u wont have to go though the trouble to scan it ruger1022.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Did you try turning the headlight switch knob left to right? If they still don't work it could be the rheostat in the headlight switch.

does that thing thats conected to the guage cover thing have anything to do with it?
What's a gauge cover? Is that supposed to be the circuit board?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as the gauge cover i mean that piece that u take off that surrounds the gagues..u know what im talkin about...like the plastic piece that goes from the radio to the light switch area

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are two things to check for that could affect the operation of your dash lighting.

First, did you check the fuse? Simple and easy to overlook.
Second, when you had the light switch out you probably noticed the silver coil embedded in ceramic at the front most part of the switch. that coil is the rotary dimmer control for the dash lighting. If the wiper that rests on the coil got dislodged or misaligned when you were working on the light switch then you will lose their operation. Pull the light switch out after checking the fuse and examine the coil/wiper assembly. if you insert the light knob into the wsitch while it is out of the dash you'll be able to see if things are lined up correctly, and whether or not the dimmer wiper is making contact with the dimmer coil.

:)

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
444 Posts
I dont mean to shift gears, but I would like to know what controls the intensity of tha dash lights. Mine work ok, but could be better.

Also I have a bad alternator, could this cause the intensity to be lower?

My dash light didnt work at first so I pulled the dash board. Replaced the bulbs and also cleaned all connections with contact point cleaner. Even pulled the rectangle connector and cleaned it.

One last thing. Does any on make an aftermarket dash for a 78 Bronco? James:chili:

·
Registered
213 Posts
What kind of aftermarket dash are you looking for? Most of the ones I've seen have been scratch built but there are some "OEM" type dashes available out there with some changes to it but not a whole lot

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Hey if you figure out what is wrong with you dash lights let me know, cause this truck's dash lights don't work either. :p (Since you pulled my switch out to try and fix your problem)

That and the turn signal indicators on the dash stay on when you turn the key on..

woot woot.. 78's are sweet.. . :rockon

·
Registered
66 Posts
heres oone for you, my dimmer switch quit working today, but my running lights and tail lights quit too, however my brake lights ,turn signals, and head lights all work???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts