Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Been looking at the site for a while, and have had almost every question
answered ( or at least the ones I am smart enough to ask ). I am hoping someone can help me. I want to remove the dash from my truck so I can paint it and am hoping someone can help me out with a good step by step.
I have pulled the cluster, but have not had to work on the steering column yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. This would be a good opportunity to get at the wiring and firewall as well. Again thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
78Bronc said:
Hey All,
Been looking at the site for a while, and have had almost every question
answered ( or at least the ones I am smart enough to ask ). I am hoping someone can help me. I want to remove the dash from my truck so I can paint it and am hoping someone can help me out with a good step by step.
I have pulled the cluster, but have not had to work on the steering column yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. This would be a good opportunity to get at the wiring and firewall as well. Again thanks.
Oh god... lol a LOOONNNG question... I've done it, I'd post if you have AC or not and what all EXACTLY, you've done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dashboard removal

Thanks for the quick response. I have AC ( never used ), I have stripped the interior, done electrical, pulled the cluster, replaced a bunch of interior, installed a roll bar etc...Looking to go deeper into the guts and get this truck back to where it should be. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Id plastic/tape off the colmun but pull the wheel......Like 4 screws hold the top dash pad on.....You still have the complete wiring harness and ducts so at what point do you have to call it good enough.....My 1 penny in.....Flip

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
If I remember right, there's screws at the base of the windshield that are practically impossible to reach without removing the windshield. I wouldn't even bother pulling the whole dash, maybe get the pad off and tape off everything and paint it that way.

Just an unnecessary PITA if you ask me. :shrug

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
i did it it wasn't fun, but it is easier to paint outside the truck.

remove the heater/stero bracket
remove the gauge cluster
remove the glover box door
remove the dash pad
two bolts on the underside of the dash that hold it at the bottom.
then i think there are some screws on the top that are accessable once you remove the dash pad
you don't have to worry about the column it is just fine where it is

check on the back side of the dash pad for screws if you see screws that go straight down then take those out before you take off the dash. Take the dash and pad off at once instead of seperate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dash removal

Thanks to everyone. I think I have enough to go on. I will start tomorrow and see how it goes. Haven't had a day off in a long while so what better way to spend it than getting neck deep in a project. I'll post pics when I have something worthy. Again thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'v got mine out and rearanging the instruments with Pro Comps. The thing gets bad when you finaly get into the duct work and the wireing harness. take your time n if you have a digital cam. take plenty of pics. once it's out its not too bad to see how everything goes backtogether but you will forget a week later. LOL good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just a quick update. I pulled those screws which hold the dash pad down and the whole dash starts rockin' forward. I am yanking on the thing to see what's happening and why the pad won't come off. It looks like I am going to have to pull the dash. I checked the dash retainers on the left and right base of the dash so I need to see what's happening. I know that previous owners have given some love to the truck before I got it. Whatever doesn't
frustrate you makes you smarter ( I guess ). Any thoughts on what is going on? I think it might be rusted down from a leak in the seal on the windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XX Bill:

Thanks for the tips. The digi cam has been extremely helpful, I've been shooting progress for a while. The Chilton and Haynes guides only take you so far, not much info on the interior and wiring.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure you already figured it out but there are also bolts on each end of the dash that bolt into the cab (one on each side).

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Took me a half an hour to remove the one I got at the junkyard

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
:stupid if you take out enough screws, it'll come out. did my 84 dash less than a month ago, and it took less than an hour or so... just remember there's only a few different kinds of screws, so put em all in a bag and mark what kind goes where..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts