Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but did not find anything specific. Here's my problem: The rear window on my 1990 Bronco works when I stick a key in the tailgate but not when I hit the switch on the dash. Here's what I've done so far: (1) checked fuses, (2) checked power to dash switch and switch with volt meter, and (3) traced the harness under dash and inside tailgate for damage or loose connections. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there someplace I should look in the harness that commonly has problems?

Reactions: bsd4083

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
When this happened to me the wires going from the body by the tail light to the tailgate were cut. A couple were cut completely in half and a couple were frayed. Cut and re-spliced all of the bad ones and Voila it worked.

·
Registered
893 Posts
same thing w/ my 90, everything ohmed outfine, so i just sprayed some contact cleaner in the switch, and whata u know? now it works.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My switch was doing the same thing. I opened the switch and seen that somebody pushed the button to hard so the switch wasn't making contact to both sides. Open it up and look at the design of it, so you know how it works. Bend the thin pieces of metal so they are making contact to both sides. This should get you in business until you can get a new one. A new switch is only like $5.00 anyway...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh yeah, don't mess up your switch when you are fixing it. If the switch gets to the point where it doesn't make any contact with both sides, the key switch won't work either...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a '96 and had to replace the switch in the dash twice. Each time it would not work either going up or down, but would still work in the tailgate. It cost $20 to $30. All you have to do is remove the front of the dash, and only two bolts hold the switch in place, unplug and thats it. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A new switch is only like $5.00 anyway...
:banghead Wow, I guess I really got hosed with my switches. Disregard my previous.... :banghead

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get a chance today to get back on the Bronco, but will try a few suggestions tomorrow. I'll reply with any luck I might have.

·
Registered
621 Posts
:banghead i hate chasing wires, but so you know there is a third switch in the tailgate. i dont know what it is for, but i had to jumper it because my rear window would not come down from either the front switch or the door switch. the switch is located near the latch assembly inside the tailgate. i think it may be there so you cant roll the window up while the tail gate is down. good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
D-diesel, i think your right about the third switch. I bypassed it in my 93.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I sprayed cleaner inside the two plugs, one behind the dash switch and the other inside the left taillight housing. The window still does not move with the dash swtich. So, I broke out the volt meter and did some testing.

When I placed the positive and negative leads to the volt meter as shown in the following illustration, I get 12 volts when I place the dash switch in the "up" position and a negative 12 volts when I place the switch in the "down" position. (Other combinations of where I placed the leads did not yield anything)

Then I tested the other side of the harness for problems and discovered some continuity between these two wires (see next picture).

Is there supposed to be continuity here? What about the readings on the other side of the plug? Anybody know if I have problems in the wiring somewhere?

·
Registered
621 Posts
i need a beer :beer . i was looking at what you did again and it looks like you already did what i was talking about. on your diagrams are they drawn to match/mate each other? if so and you have continuity then check for continuity while turning the key to make the switch. see if you have continuity while the switch is being made.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D-diesel said:
i need a beer :beer . i was looking at what you did again and it looks like you already did what i was talking about. on your diagrams are they drawn to match/mate each other? if so and you have continuity then check for continuity while turning the key to make the switch. see if you have continuity while the switch is being made.
Okay, I'll try that later tomorrow. Right now I'm busy shoveling a foot of new snow off of my driveway and into a huge mound where I'll need to back over tomorrow morning. :santa

1 - 16 of 16 Posts