·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
now that the bronco is finally shifting properly, and i think it's going to stay shifting properly, i have been able to move on to other things.

one: the popping sound my truck would make when i stopped or started moving.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/413034-trying-track-down-pop-drivetrain.html

solution: slip joint shaft needed lubrication. here are a couple pics...bone dry.

and my transfer case is leaking. i've known this. i went ahead and replaced the transfer case fluid. when i get to the internal transmission filter, i'll crack open the case and put on a new bead of sealant.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i picked up a couple junk yard saginaw pumps and brackets. one for myself and one to sell. i didn't see it fast enough but was able to trade it to a local for a flux core welder he was selling. i've never welded, so that was plenty welder for me.

after a few practice welds, i welded some nuts to the floorboard under my center console. now i can bolt my center console to the floor and it will be extremely secure. i'm really glad to have this done. screwing it to the sheet metal just wasn't working. it kept coming loose.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
and the biggest change i did was getting new seats. a month or so ago, i found a 96 (i think) eddie bauer at a local junk yard. the seats were in surprisingly good condition. but, i didn't have the money to buy them at the time. or didn't want to spend the money at the time. but, also, the driver side cushion was completely worn out. (worse than mine, as far as the cushion goes) so i wasn't sure what to do there.

with this month's FOTM competition, Aschessla's bronco is just so incredibly clean. i commented that his bronco's clean seats made me ashamed of mine. i wasn't joking.

i ran out there yesterday and pulled the trigger on the seats. i grabbed the entire passenger seat, the back seat top and bottom (no hinges or hardware), and the cover of the driver's seat. my intent was to move my current passenger seat cushion to the driver seat, since the passenger seat was in pretty decent shape.

$60 and some effort in the junk yard later, i had a new set of seats. the only downside is the driver side arm rest on my seats is in worse shape than i realized. i'm going to have to get a new cushion for that. i will try to get the one from the JY first, but if that doesn't work out, then i guess i'll order a new one. and, the seats didn't come with a passenger arm rest. so i had to reuse my current passenger arm rest. but it's in great shape, so no biggie.

first old and busted:

and the new hotness:

really, the seats are probably 90-95% perfect. now if i could just do something with that carpet...

when i was hunting for a bronco, i was really hoping to find a two-tone XLT with cloth interior. ending up with the EB was fine, but i still prefer cloth seats. they don't crack and they don't get nearly as hot. and in texas...that matters! so i am very pleased so have such clean seats that are cloth and are even eddie bauer seats. so, that's a win-win-win. and the price? that's an extra win, too. i spent more on the seat covers (that i used to cover up the seats for the past year) than i spent on the replacement seats. that just blows my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i was able to get my driver side arm rest installed. i had to weld a section of a nut to replace the damaged arm rest part. then i stuck a little duck tape on the top to help the pad from getting worn out as fast.

and my carpet was so funky, i finally pulled it and took it to the car wash.
before

washing

it was so dirty, i went back a second time and washed it again that same day. finally installed...

here's my son using the leaf blower on the floor mats.

and the final touch to my interior clean up was a "new" dash pad.
out with the old and in with the new

and the guy who sold me the dash pad invited me to go to his second garage in the back yard. he said he had a few other pieces i might want. i didn't. i was please, however, that i wasn't taken to a torture dungeon. i think he was looking for an excuse to show me his 70 challenger and 87 GNX

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
my steering has always been loose. when i bought the truck it was leaking fluid from the sector shaft seal. i tried to do a reseal kit but i failed in my attempts. really, it wouldn't come apart without a special tool. and the "workaround" didn't work. so i was left with a partially disassembled gear that i couldn't reassemble. so, i bought a reman gear from the parts store b/c it was half the price of the "only right way" to do it - a red-head.

well, the steering didn't improve and it wasn't safe for my daughter to drive so something had to be done. i started this thread:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/405762-red-head-vs-motorcraft-vs-1-ton-gear-box-swap.html

to that end, i decided i would do a reman motorcraft gear and a saginaw pump. then, i got a wild hair and decided to go all-in with the 4bolt swap with my saginaw pump.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/419865-sag-pump-4-bolt-1-ton-steering-gear.html

and, i will say that it is awesome. steering is very responsive. the saginaw pump is quieter at idle than my stock pump, but in use i can still hear it whining. regardless, i'm still extremely pleased with the final product.
and because people like pictures, here are a few cross posted from my write up.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looking good!

Did you have to do any adjustment to your 4 bolt box after you installed it? I'm debating turning the screw a bit on mine.
no i didn't. but i know my rag joint in the steering is good. and i also did new outer tie rods, inner tie rod, and drag link within the last year. maybe i got lucky, though.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
alright, over the last week or so i got my new centric brand ball joints installed, details here
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/422362-centric-ball-joints-install-notes.html

here's the rest of the story...

i was going to install the leveling springs i bought last year but hadn't gotten around to doing at the same time. i did one side and the springs are just too damn long. this is a bad pic. the springs were longer, but also had more coils and were thicker. i wonder if they were more than just "leveling" springs.

but because i'm a dumbass, i didn't mark the camber bushing when removed. i had adjustable bushings ready to go in, so i planned to toss the old ones. well, it didn't work so i had to re-install the original bushing. of course i didn't put it in the right way. so when i got it aligned, they charged me extra to remove/re-install (totally fair) but of course they "had' to use a new bushing. the one i had just wouldn't work. so there's an extra $40 on top of the rest. that said, i'm satisfied with the alignment.

also...my steering has had serious slop since i bought the truck. last year i got it aligned after doing the steering components and the wheel was always tilted to the left. but, the excessive slop remained. when i did the 4-bolt steering gear, the steering tightened right up. and now that i got the alignment, the steering wheel facing forward. this is so great and weird at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
over the weekend i was at the junk yard looking for a couple odds and ends. i came across a sport trac that still had a rear axle. for fun i checked the axle code and it was D2 - limited slip 4.10. i tried pulling it but didn't have all the tools i needed to finish the job. after leaving and coming back, i had myself a nice ring and pinion for some time in the future. i already have limited slip, so i didn't need the carrier. not bad for $40 (including tax)

when the time comes, i'll attempt to find 4.10s for the front from an f250.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
well, somehow after 9000 miles my passenger inner tie rod (drag link) has given up the ghost. it has way too much play in it so i went ahead an swapped in a new moog tie rod. that's a bummer but i'm glad to have the slack back out of the steering. hopefully this next one lasts longer. if not, i suppose i'll have to do some investigating.

also, the other day i installed some tow hooks from an expedition. it isn't perfect due to the crumple zones but they're solid, for sure.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/433642-installing-ford-expedition-tow-hooks-crumple-zone.html

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
21 - 40 of 189 Posts